Ground Handling - Bushwheels VS 8.50’s

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
MauleEnvy

Ground Handling - Bushwheels VS 8.50’s

Post by MauleEnvy »

Through various forums and Facebook pages I’ve read that there are 2 very different trains of thought on the ground handling of a plane on Bushwheels vs 8.50’s. Some say Bushwheels are more forgiving and make landings easier, and some say that Bushwheels increase the groundloop tendency since they “grabâ€￾ better, especially if landed on pavement.

I’m getting ready to do some upgrades this spring and 29â€￾ or 31â€￾ Bushwheels we’re at the top of the list. I’m wondering if I should rethink that and use those $$ elsewhere. I’m not looking to do serious off airport stuff. My use would be long gravel bars, beach and known backcountry strips. My thought was the benefit of increased AOA and softer landings taking some stress off the airframe. At my Home airport I have the option of grass, gravel or pavement.

What’s the consensus/experience of the Maule drivers here on the ground handling/ landing tendencies of Bushwheels vs 8.50’s? I don’t currently have any issue with the ground handling/landing of 8.50’s which is what’s on there now. But as a new to tailwheels and Maule guy, I don’t want to get the Plane anymore prone to groundlooping.

Any open honest feedback is appreciated.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Everyone has an opinion I'm sure...

For me, I have only landed bushwheels on pavement a handful of times. Still easier than 8.50's because they flex in my mind - something with a stiff sidewall is more prone to grabbing.

That being said, at speed the 8.50's will for sure be more stable. Don't do a 1 notch of flaps wheelie on bushwheels.
TJ Van Matre

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

go for the 31's. you won't be sorry. they are easier/more forgiving than little tires in almost every situation i can think of.
M5-235

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have bushweels and 8.5’s. I was shocked at how natural the transition was from small to large tires. I have not found any issue with landing or taking off on pavement. In fact, it really makes all landings that much easier regardless of landing surface.

Did almost every wheelie touch n go at the Winter Flyin with 1 notch of flaps, what have you seen TJ that makes you steer clear of 1 notch wheel landings.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

KC, that was on grass though, OP is asking about pavement.

It's like driving a truck on 35's vs a Honda Civic down the runway. The bigger tires will "walk" when you are at speed - not a huge deal if you know its going to happen but OP said he was new to TW.
TJ Van Matre

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

For a compromise consider Goodyear 26's. Cheaper than bushwheels yet slightly bigger than 8.50's.
I've been happy with mine so far. However, as my skills have increased over time, 8.50's can go a lot of places too with the right technique.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

UP-M5 wrote:go for the 31's. you won't be sorry. they are easier/more forgiving than little tires in almost every situation i can think of.
I totally agree. I have 31â€￾ bushwheels and Goodyear 8.50 “racing tiresâ€￾ which I only use for long trips to countries which prohibit off-airport landing (sadly, that’s most of continental Europe :cry: ).
MX-7-180 N280SA

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I have found the 850's to suit anywhere I needed to land, including river beds. The weak link is the tailwheel. The Maule tailwheel emulates a plow in loose sand, etc :shock: If you can keep the heavy Maule tail off the ground with judicious elevator, the 850's perform very well.
M5