Control on Ground with Skis

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Hawgsforever

Control on Ground with Skis

Post by Hawgsforever »

Just bought my M-7 in Aug and have flown about 30 hours on wheels, but being winter in AK, am looking into ski flying as plowed runways are the exception and not the rule in interior AK.

Wondering about control on the ground with skis versus wheels - especially on landing...

I find myself using rudder, tailwheel steering and often differential braking to keep the aircraft straight upon landing, especially in any crosswind or gusty winds or on rough/bumpy strips.

Obviously skis make the tailwheel steering less effective and no brakes available, but I would think skis should add longitudinal stability and some resistance to ground loops by their long contact patch parallel to the fuselage...

Anybody out there with insights and techniques specifically for M-7s on skis?

Thanks to everybody here on MaulePilots.Org...your help has been invaluable to a high time jet and turboprop guy new to the Maule.
Hawgsforever
AK - The Great Land

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

M5

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

maules make great ski planes. put the skis on and go have fun. you are right about the ski skegs providing logitudinal stability.
but, with that being said;
i have found myself taxiing in a crab on ice with a crosswind, and not able to turn out of the wind.
fairly rare. but we tend to have more snow down here toward denali
M5-235