What are M5-235 float folks using for float approach speed ?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Float Pilot

What are M5-235 float folks using for float approach speed ?

Post by Float Pilot »

Question for Float-Maule pilots. What are M5-235 float folks using for your approach speed on floats and what speed do you see when breaking clear of the water. All of my float-Maule time is in M7s or M-6s. But I am looking at an M5-235 on floats. Just wonder if there is a huge difference. I was using 65 mph for the long final with long wing Maules and down to sinking at 55 on short. All my M5 time is on wheels. ( Wish I could find an M6 for sale or an M7 set up for floats that i could afford. )

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

You are going to have to add some speed on both take off and landing.

The 2 ft wing length difference is pretty noticeable on floats.

Speeds, of course, depend on weight. I have had issues getting off short high lakes on hot days with my M5.

I pretty much ended up "popping" it off the water with flaps and gaining speed in ground (water?) effect.

There is one of the guys on the BB that flies a M5 on floats in AK.

TD

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

And if I understand correctly, the MX-7-235 has the short wing like the M-5s.? What is BB?

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

BB = bulletin board = (in my mind)
maulepilots.org)

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

on takeoff with my M5-235 i am looking at about 52 mph to break water at full 2750lb gross. that is usually around or slightly above standard temp and around 2000' elevation. i will usually roll a float out and pull flaps just to break out and accelerate in water effect.
light weight= a couple of seconds and its off the water. barely shows 40mph.

landings i use about 30 degrees of flap and slide on somewhere around 60ish when loaded.

good hard working float plane.
i also fly beavers on aerocets. another good hard working float plane.
M5-235

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

That is interesting. Something like a 180 or even a 172 on floats will usually break out of the water at close to the same speed, it just takes longer to get to that speed with heavier loads. So it is interesting how your M5 actually has to go faster. Some of the lakes I became accustomed to using with a Super Cub are pretty marginal for a light C-180 on floats due to the inability to climb over the obstacles at a steep enough angle once clear of the water. Even my C-172 on PK-2300s will get out of the water pretty fast, but the terrain come up pretty fast if I had much of a load inside. I had to wait until that plane was going 60-65 knots to climb. It will break out of the water at 40 knots with 15 degrees of flaps.

These videos were with just two of us on-board and no back seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuktyiILdEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECMBh-XvxZ4

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

The Maule has a different airfoil than a Cessna and will climb out of ground effect a lot sooner than a Cessna.
M5

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

I need to do something soon. I caught my wife putting my airplane money into a money market account today.

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

I fly an M6 on EDO 2440's. Mine also has the universal wing and a new engine (under 200hrs) I usually add 40 degrees of flap and approach at 65-68mph and keep about 1200rpm. setting down just under 55mph. when trying to keep it short/steep i will put in the full 48 degrees and approach at 60, setting down at 50ish. I find that with the little bit of power the maule sets down smoother, without it the bottom likes to drop out (this could be the pilot)

for take offs where I have lots of room I put in 24 degrees and let her run, lifting off around 55mph. when trying to get out short, I start clean and then pop them to help get on step, once on step I clean up and then pull full flaps at 45 and muscle it into ground affect. this cuts a ton of distance off of my run to Vx.

not sure if that helps you or not.

Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

Good info. Wish I could find a M6-235...

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

UP M5

In your M5-235 how would you feel about a lake like Scout Lake down in Sterling 2800 feet shore to shore with trees tops and rich folks houses requiring you to be at least 75-100 feet in the air when you cross the shore.

Lets say a 70 degree day, 29,50 baro half tanks and a 200 pound co-pilot and a 180 pound passenger in the back seat plus you.... ????

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

pm'd you.

floats go on in late may. come on up for a test ride :)
M5-235

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

I need to buy another plane before then. All my float-time is in long wing Maules. Which go in and out of lakes like that with no problem. ( but I cannot find a long wing Maule I can afford)

Most of my Cessna time in shorter lakes is in 185s with Aerocets. That is a good combo and it will rip out of lake...Once again over-priced...

The stock 230hp 180s (which I can afford) struggle with clearing trees in some cases. Ok with two guys, half gas and gear, but three people....ahhhh maybe not...

172s with larger engines will get out of the water, pretty quick but they cannot climb steep enough to avoid solid objects in some cases.

I was just using that as an example lake. a lot of my float-ratings clients want to bring along a spouse or relative. Plus I always have family members showing up every summer.

There are a couple M5-235s out on the market that I can afford... Well I think I can.,.,, I sent off to my insurance folks a couple days ago and they have not returned my messages yet..