Cold Starts ... HELP!

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Chris in Milwaukee wrote:I had to start mine up on Friday morning from cold iron at 22F (because I didn't get over to plug it in the night before). Dave's primer technique actually worked pretty well. I had to finesse it a bit, because I wasn't sure how it was going to react. But I did get it started in fewer evolutions than I had in past days when trying to start it cold.

The 180 bucks like a frikkin' bronco until it gets fuel flowing (and igniting) in all cylinders. Must have been running on two cylinders for a bit until things finally caught up.
With this crazy North Carolina weather, its summer one day and winter the next. I haven't gotten another chance to try it cold but I plan to try dave's primer trick. Seems like a good idea.

My 180 bucked like yours, last time I started it cold. After I finally got it to light off, it was really pissed off for what seemed like an eternity before it smoothed out. I thought to myself, "no wonder the daggum exhaust have so many cracks and looseness problems with the engine beating its head against a wall on cold start.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

With my plane just coming out of annual, it was found that I had six plugs out of tolerance and mags were out of time by a few degrees. Since new plugs were installed and the mags re-timed, it starts faster and more cleanly than I could have ever imagined. This winter (not that I'm wishing for it in June) should have some fabulous starts now!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

DonLindsay

preheat

Post by DonLindsay »

Just bought a "standard" Reiff preheater, and leaving the plane plugged in overnight left the engine toasty and happy to start. Recommended !

Now to figure out a way to turn the Reiff on and off from miles away...

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

In the interest of following up with a final solution over a year later

Solution:

Thanks to GBarrier and Inglewood aviation,

Replaced both slick Mags. Also upgraded to impulse couplings on both mags. Now, the engine fires up beautifully within 2-4 blades no matter what temperature. although I do still pre-heat for oiling and longevity purposes

Lesson 1: I was unaware that slick mags have a SB for inspection at 500hrs (I did not own the A/C at 500hrs)
Lesson 2: Also unaware that slick mags should be rebuilt/replaced at 1000hrs (945hrs when I purchased the A/C)
Lesson 3: I should’ve heeded the advice of Rick (montana maule) and mountain doctor right from the “startâ€￾. (pun intended) thank you fellas!!!!
Last edited by CaseyM on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Re: preheat

Post by CaseyM »

DonLindsay wrote:Just bought a "standard" Reiff preheater, and leaving the plane plugged in overnight left the engine toasty and happy to start. Recommended !

Now to figure out a way to turn the Reiff on and off from miles away...
Thank you for reminding me about this post so I could follow up.

I now have an E-Z heat oil pan preheater that works fantastic.

There is a prepaid cellphone and relay box option for connecting in your hanger that can be remotely switched on and off. Pretty cool system if you live far from your hangar.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C