Landings and Crosswinds and Go 'Rounds, oh my

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Landings and Crosswinds and Go 'Rounds, oh my

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

This weekend, I came back home from a lovely trip to Madison, WI, and had a bit of a crosswind on landing. Nothing substantial, really: landing runway 22 with a 240@7-9. Normal everyday landing stuff I've never had any problems with. But this day was different.

Just as I touched down in a 3-point attitude, the tires started squealing and I'm being pushed to the left. I kept it straight, no problem, so less likely there'll be a ground loop, but the runway edge is coming up fast. I realized that I didn't have enough right aileron in, and that's why I was drifting. I decided I was going to go around, because when in doubt, get out, right? Well, I "gave it the onion" the BCA guy says, and damn it all if the engine didn't all but stall. So now I'm committed.

I kept it on the runway and got it stopped, pulled the seat cushion out of my backside, and followed the controller's direction back to the ramp. Once I got on the taxiway, he told me I could ask for turf if I wanted (just opened), but I'd have to request it. He wouldn't offer it to me without me asking. Good to know. 8)

So the question isn't why did I slide across the runway. I know the answer to that one. I wasn't keeping it stuck down with enough aileron (that and I could probably retract the flaps sooner and fly in a little slower, perhaps, with less flaps). The real question is, why in the world did my engine give up when I floored it?

On the way back in, my wife mentioned the smell of gas was fairly high in the exhaust. I concur. Smelled pretty rich to me. Chance that the carb needs some adjustment or a cleanup? Did I flood it? Was there too much air and not enough fuel and I leaned it? Other thoughts?

Appreciate your replies,
Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Was your mixture control full rich on approach? Our M5 always sputters on power increases when at any mixture setting other than full rich, and the carb was just rebuilt. The other thing to remember is to always apply power increases slowly as quick changes can do inertia damage to some engine components. Most carbureted aircraft engines will sputter on quick power applications because of the intake runner design and length.
M5

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

DeltaRomeo wrote:Was your mixture control full rich on approach? Our M5 always sputters on power increases when at any mixture setting other than full rich, and the carb was just rebuilt. The other thing to remember is to always apply power increases slowly as quick changes can do inertia damage to some engine components. Most carbureted aircraft engines will sputter on quick power applications because of the intake runner design and length.
As far as I know it was. Illl have to be more conscious of power changes and not goose it too quickly. It didn't die where the engine quit, but it certainly wasn't interested in spinning up. By then, I had recovered and had full gription on the tires, thankfully.

Life is full of surprises! Thankfully, my wife wasn't phased at all. After the landing, she goes, "Hockey stop!" Love that woman!

Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

My IO-360 didn't like a blast of full power at full rich, I usually left it about halfway between cruise and full rich on approaches. it would pop and backfire at full rich.
TJ Van Matre

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

I can not imagine immediate full power should cause an engine stall. When you need it in that position you need it now. It should be looked into IMO.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

It's not the application of power, it's the mixture of fuel and air during the process. I.E. why you ground lean at altitude.
TJ Van Matre

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

All of the above, plus your carburetor has an accelerator pump which may or may not be working correctly
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

My io 0360 also hesitates just a bit when pushing in full throttle from idle, such as in a go-around. I'm not unique in this, I know; another member with the same engine told me he carries just a touch of power all the way in, iirc, mainly for this reason. Can't remember who told me.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Slightly different animal, but my Franklin will spit and sputter if I stab the throttle with the carb heat on full at landing. If I use carb heat for approach then I will set it to half heat which makes the engine much happier when I demand full power.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Huh. My IO-360 takes a handful of throttle from idle with no complaint at all.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Are you close to sea level up there? I should have mentioned MOG and I are in Texas and it is 105 degrees here which doesn't help.
TJ Van Matre

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

no flaps with cross wind

Post by gregorydshanks »

What is the aerodynamic explanation for landing with little or no flaps in a crosswind?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Higher landing and stall speed I would have to guess. Higher speeds will give more control via ailerons and rudder. Get to slow and you won’t have enough control to keep the wings level if you have a gust.

But don’t take my word for it.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Re: no flaps with cross wind

Post by Brenton C »

gregorydshanks wrote:What is the aerodynamic explanation for landing with little or no flaps in a crosswind?
The extended flaps give more lift, and with the cross wind, the up-wind wing gets lift, while the fuselage blocks the down-wind wing from sharing the love.

I scraped a wingtip on the roll out a few weeks ago for just this reason.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

TxAgfisher wrote:Are you close to sea level up there? I should have mentioned MOG and I are in Texas and it is 105 degrees here which doesn't help.
Yea, 100' or so above sea level. Throw in that our density altitude is usually below sea level...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!