Taking it Down a Notch

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Taking it Down a Notch

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Since last night was nice and calm, I did some pattern work to see if I could arrest some of this landing anxiety I have. As I may have mentioned, I've been flying this thing like a 172 in the pattern. I've been thinking, based upon readings in the archive, that that's just way too fast for a Maule.

So as I'm setting up for landing, I took a good look at the altimeter. Dang, that white arc goes way the hell down there, doesn't it? So instead of final at around 70-73, 65 or so when I cross the numbers, I took about 10mph off of those numbers to start with. It's amazing how much time you have to think about things when approaching the runway at 60mph.

When it was time to touch down, I wasn't really thinking much about the airspeed indicator, just trying to feel for how quickly the beast was sinking and arresting it with a bit of power, trying to keep my landing spot in sight. Just before I touched down I heard the stall horn beep, and landed firmly in a 3-point. Not too shabby. With some practice, I'll bet I could do it in 5-7mph less pretty easily. Just need to get the feel for it.

I'll be spending some time with my favorite tailwheel instructor soon and working on the "Attitude Flying" technique shown in the BCP video archive. My instructor is a very analytical pilot and instructor, and I'm sure he'll have some great tips for me. And I'm sure we'll get some time in his Stearman somewhere mixed in there, too. :) You probably don't fly a 220 Stearman without knowing a thing or two about energy management.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

mauledrvr

Post by mauledrvr »

Chris,
You're on the right track.
There was a lady instructor based in Northampton Mass that gave the best advice for landing Maules, she was in her 80's had flown Maules in Alaska and most anything without kero burners. I had been out "practicing" so swung by the area, fair crosswind and I was struggling. Taxied up for a break, she had been watching and said "you're too fast on approach, Maules hate that"...
Good Flyin'

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Slower is better. Just be ready to zap the throttle a tad right before touchdown.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843