Max Speed, Straight and Level

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Max Speed, Straight and Level

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

So yesterday afternoon, because it was such beautiful flying weather for the first time in what seems like ages, I took the Maule (MX-7-180A) up to see what kinda gumption it has. The air was like glass with a light breeze, and it was a perfect opportunity to do a 3-course GPS run. So I set up at about 4000 feet, firewall everything and leaned it for best power (about 3/4" out, it seems), and I let 'er rip.

The airspeed indicator seemed to level out at about 128mph, so that's what I went with for my reference point. I monitored the GPS ground speed at 000, 120, and 240 degree headings, and it averaged out to roughly 116kts/133mph. Couple that with air temp and altitude, and TAS is pretty darn close.

So what I know now is a couple of things:

1. The airspeed indicator is accurate
2. I ain't goin' any faster than 115kts/130mph on the best day

Unless I'm in a dive, then I could probably hit 135 :)
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Yup, that's the way it seems to be with the fixed pitch 180's.

FWIW the best air density for max speed testing would be a bit higher, 7,000 feet at standard temperatures.

Part or the problem is full throttle will redline the motor in straight and level flight at lower altitudes.

Mine will give 130-135 MPH true more or less. Not very impressive, but a good way to 'build hours'. :lol:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843