Second Maule Flight Today

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Second Maule Flight Today

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

So, as I continue my transition into Maule-dom, I flew another day with my very qualified Maule pilot-owner in conditions I dreaded, but I knew were necessary to experience. We had some more snow come through the area yesterday, so there was still some snowy patches on the recently-plowed runway (although plenty of bare pavement), and we had winds 310-320@15G21 for runway 34. Crosswind practice!

So today I practiced wheel landings, on a slippery runway, with a gusty crosswind. Holy cow, that was quite a learning experience. I hadn't done any wheel landings since I got my TW endorsement a couple of summers ago, so it was about time I did some again.

We worked both with one notch of flaps and with no flaps. Turns out no flaps worked the best. Flew it onto the ground at about 70-75, let the upwind wheel touch first, full crosswind correction while letting out the power, right wheel touches, keeping it straight with rudder. Speed bled off, and the tail let itself down gently.

Not being a Mauler, I've heard all the stories about lack of rudder, etc., but I found that there was plenty, and I never felt as though I was going to run out of anything.

Of course, that was the second landing. We won't even talk about the first one. But when in doubt, go around, right? My co-pilot and mentor said that I was no way in any danger and it was easily recoverable, but go around and live to fly another day!

What a fun plane to fly! So much fun learning about this plane from an experienced pilot!

~Chris

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

My humble opinion Chris, now that you have experienced some more advanced conditions would be to get a good handle on the aircraft in good weather and at altitude in slow flight and then return to more challenging landings.
Going around is great airmanship.
Cheers.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Thanks for the guidance. Now we just have to wait for good weather again! The past few weeks have been miserable in the upper midwest. Solid fog for a week, freezing rain and other garbage the rest of the time. I was able to squeak in a few hours of "not precipitating" this week, which has been nice, but with only 1600-1900 ceilings at best, we didn't spend a lot of time doing things that would have been nice to have a bit more altitude. I'm sure looking forward to those days. Tick tick tick...

xcflyn

Post by xcflyn »

Chris,
This may have been mentioned, but are you currently flying solo in your Maule or are you satisfying insurance needs currently ? I know I had to spend 25 hours in make and model with a CFI that had 200hrs (or something like that) in make and model.
I know my experience after having my hours has been a lot of just staying local and doing touch and goes and full stops, about 4 touch and goes to every full stop. I probably have 300 + landings in my M4. I must have Alzheimer's as I seem to find every landing something new. I know 300 landings is nothing but its a start. I can now be out of the plane for a week or two and get in and feel ready to fly and not be freaked. I was a low time pilot getting into my Maule plus only having about 10 hrs in a Cub for my TW training prior. There are still days I feel I should have stuck with Tri gear, but usually after few hops in the M4 I am glad I am flying what I fly.
I think the whole reason for my busy fingers was to say that I would spend as much time on and off with my Maule training guy as I could. If mine were closer I would fly with him a lot and have him help get me into more and more challenging conditions. I have always said I love being around people smarter than me and that certainly goes for my time in the Maule too.
I was never really thought to wheel land the M4, my CFI had thousands of M4 Maule hours over the years and his belief was you always 3 point a M4. I also have one of the original Maule training people stay by my local strip and he said to work the 3pt on a M4, save the wheelies for a 5-7. He trained people all over to fly Maules, south America to north America. As a matter of fact (off topic I know) but he had Mr. Maule himself on his speed dial and whipped out his phone and said here , you can hear it from the source - unfortunately it went to voice mail. When ever I read this forum and landings I always feel like I am missing out not doing wheel landings like I did in the Cub. At the same time , a M4 seems to be a little different animal. I know guys wheel land them, I just have not got enough experience to try to learn to wheel land mine without someone in the right seat to coach me.
Love to read on your progress, I learn so much by reading what others do.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

I am definitely not flying this plane solo. I'm not comfortable with it yet. I'll be flying dual for a while yet. I need 20 hours to satisfy the insurance company, similar to your experience. With the weather the way it has been, we've been flying what we can fly in the conditions provided. Lots more f work to do yet.

The Maule seems to fly like most others in the normal envelope. It's the end of the envelope and putting it on the ground safely that needs attention for me.

PCH

Post by PCH »

Chris Congratulations! Your Maule will bring you years of enjoyment.

xcflyn-Your experience with landing the Maule parallels my M-4 experience. I was always told to only 3 point the Maule. One thing that always bugged me was the Maule would hippy hop down the runway. On rough dirt with the hop, brakes were unavailable and you just go along for the ride. I attribute this hop to my forward CG. I have put weight in the back but to get any meaningful shift in the CG, I need a serious amount of weight back there. I suspect those Maule pilots who swear by only landing 3 point, have a more rearward CG. I did notice the You Tube video of the Maule landing and taking off at the factory also exhibited the hopping on landing.

I too had a exciting time trying to wheel land. By now, I was convinced you only 3 pointed a Maule. But my instructor wanted me to be able to wheel land. After multiple unusual attitude recoveries, it finally came together.

I found the best way to wheel land was to touch down tail low and then roll the plane up on the mains. The plane is now pinned to the ground by the wing's angle of attack, and you have all the braking and forward visibility you could ever want with no hopping whatsoever. Also, from that touch down position (if you are slow enough), you can also lower the tail and keep the tail pinned to the ground. Like you, before I graduated to this technique, every landing was a different experience. Now there is a consistency I never before experienced.

I have recently started to experiment with the elevator gap seals from Cub Crafters and found I now have more elevator authority than with out the seals. Also, the 3 point landing hop seems to have disappeared perhaps owing to having a more effective elevator to keep the tailwheel pinned to the ground. Unfortunately, gap seals aren't approved for an M-4.

So, to sum it up, contrary to the lore out there, I find my M-4 is very happy wheeling it on. I'd love to continue to hear how everyone is progressing and what tricks you have learned.

TomD
100+ Posts

wheel landings

Post by TomD »

Having a little hop or bounce on landing is not unusual have a look at most of the WWII videos with tail wheel fighters. Most had a bounce, especially the Spitfire.

Big bounces on the other hand can be an issue since the plane is not flying after the bounce and any crosswind will turn you in the air.

As most folks will agree, forward and vertical speed control is the key to a good landing either 3pt or wheel.

There are many days I make a two wheel landing but the two wheels are one main and the tailwheel.

TD

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

I have had my share of big bounces in my m-7 with the spring gear. When you bounce add some power. I agree that the plane is not flying, it will come down hard and will turn into the wind. The power will help the rudder and arrest the decent. Of course if it is a real short runway, turn on the coals and get out of there.