Full flap approach at 60 or less

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Ian

Full flap approach at 60 or less

Post by Ian »

I've been making consistent short final approaches with full flaps and indicating 55-60 mph. Airspeed was recently overhauled so I think its OK. Plane feels good and I do not use all elevator trim. Sometimes a shot of power at flare but typically just flares smoothly to ground. This is with me and inboard tanks only.

What are some of your best slowest approaches with un modified planes?

Best

Ian
Best Regards

Ian

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

55 to 60 huh! Boy, I don't think I have done better than 65. I just can't get a smooth landing slower than that.
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Ian,

I have an M4 210 with a 40 degree flap ratchet and gap seals. Just me and full inboard fuel I will indicate 45 mph on short final. This is smooth air only. I only got comfortable at the slower speeds by doing slow flight at altitude, I would pick my speed and then do 30 degree bank turns in both directions. Even at this speed I usually don't set off my stall warning light during the flare. I do keep power in until I know I have arrested my desent and have made my landing spot. Every plane is a little different. Do your own check at altitude, and take the time to fly an exact speed, don't "ballpark" it.

Mike

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

With the different Maule models these numbers are going to vary widely. Short wings, long wings, droop tips, heavy motors, big props, etc.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

N6EA

Post by N6EA »

55 is about right for my M4 when lightly loaded. Same deal, vg's, elevator seals, etc. Very little float and a good three point is very easy. Loaded I'll use 60-65. These are over the fence numbers...
1971 M4-220C
"You can land anywhere, once..."

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I can honestly say that I have no idea what my actual landing speed is...I want to say it is around 55 - 60 mph. From the time I roll final my head is outside the cockpit for the most part and I fly it by feel. I am pretty sure that I usually cross the fence aroun 65 - 70 for a 3-pointer and about 70 - 75 for a wheelie.

By the way, we have a stock MX7-180 with elevator gap seals.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the replies. I too practice slow flight at altitude - I have the short wing model the practice of course makes all the difference in getting to know the feel of the plane. Great fun and great airplane- It's funny prior to owning the Maule , now nearly 3 yrs ,I had always thought a Beechcraft would be nice at some point , now I don't care this Maule does so much so well - I really think its hard to beat.
Best Regards

Ian

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I'm with MikeW on the speed observed. Below 45-48, the ASI's accuracy is in question but the GPS is right there.
Flap seals, 40 degrees, and VG's, no more than than mains and one 55lb Lab (usually). Typically wheel land on skis and 50/50 wheel/three point otherwise. and carry 12-13"MP. A/C weighs #1320lb
I make it a point to not land with the aux tanks full if at all possible.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

careful with the tail up on skis. i'm always worried about "stubbing a toe" on some of these rutted up lakes and rivers with anything other than full back elevator.
M5-235

flyboycpa

Post by flyboycpa »

Having provided tailwheel instruction mostly in Swifts and Maules, I have found one thing in common between the two types. My 60mph may not be the same as your 60mph. For Swifts, differences in pitot tubes (stock, modified stock, Piper, static system, no static system, etc.) make radical difference in IAS relative to TAS. The same goes for the Maules. Remember, differences in static port placement, burrs on the port, and even vagaries within the pitot lines, all amount to differences shown on the gauge, particularly in the low-speed regime.

my $.02,
Sam Swift

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

I use 75mph on final approach and let that bleed off just before the fence.

Seems to work OK for our M5-235 on our 1200ft strip at 700ft AMSL.

We probably can shave off a bit with the flaps adjusted and sticking our VGs on which are currently sitting in a box in the garage.
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Flyboy

I agree with your description of the differences in airspeeds. The indicated airspeeds vary between each aircraft. It relies not only on the pitot system differences but also the analog instrument itself.
The analog tachometers that I have had all have had some error. It also has a small spring that can change over time.

I use AOA on all of my approaches along with seat of the pants.

flyer
Flyer

flyboycpa

Post by flyboycpa »

flyer,

I agree. I failed to mention the ASI gauge, itself.

Sam

flyer wrote:Flyboy

I agree with your description of the differences in airspeeds. The indicated airspeeds vary between each aircraft. It relies not only on the pitot system differences but also the analog instrument itself.
The analog tachometers that I have had all have had some error. It also has a small spring that can change over time.

I use AOA on all of my approaches along with seat of the pants.

flyer

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Ian, is that an M4 210? Hard to tell from the picture.
Iceman

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Sorry, wasn't very clear on that one Ryan, known snow conditions (smooth) or ice only on the wheel/ski landings.
Here's one for you guys, came in a landed Saturday. Temp was +15 when I left and +42 when I returned. Touched down and the furthest possible point on the lake and indicating 48 on the GPS Knowing it was going to be slick. Maybe 5 knots of breeze on the nose, kept it dirty and three-pointed it.
At the end of the 4500' our lake is listed at (it's a seaplane base) I was still doing about 28 as I passed into the channel to my house. I live on a small semi-enclosed bay (about 15 acres) connected to the main lake by a channel (50' wide or so) we taxi through. My slide continued to eat up about 2/3 of the bay until the speed bled off to a quick taxi. I ate up well over a mile of "runway" with just that skim of water sittng on the ice. :shock:
Looks like ski season is coming to a close for me. Time to get used to brakes and soft tires again.