Well.....I looped it!

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Well.....I looped it!

Post by Steelroamer »

I just put my M6 onto the federal wheel skis this weekend after being on floats all summer. I have been gaining a ton of experience and confidence on floats and really enjoying it but the warm weather here is over, so it was time. Once the change was done it was time to fly it. First 8-10 circuts went well so went for a fly around. When I got back the wind was 90 degrees from the runway and gusting. After one go around I reduced flaps and came in a little faster. I got a gust right at touchdown and ballooned, added a bit of power and set down ok.. during the rollout the tail started to come around. I should mention that it is a grass strip. This is where my inexperience comes into play, I kept adding rudder until I ran out and then got on the brake. When it did not help all I could think was something broke. It never dawned on me that I was skidding on the grass and to add power. When it was over I had stayed perfectly level through the 270 degree spin, turns out the only damage was to my shorts and my pride. When she decides to get in front of you, she is going to. Lesson learned: just cause you have a good handle on it on floats doesn't mean you do on wheels.

If I could make a suggestion to others switching over like me.... make sure you take the time to switch your thinking along with your gear!
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Sounds like a good outcome.

I would imagine that the grass saved you, and you would have been more likely to catch a wingtip on pavement.

Even landing a Trigear on grass is much nicer and more forgiving.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Whew, when I read the thread topic, I thought you hade done a vertical, aerobatic loop! I'm glad it was just a ground loop and even happier that your repair bill will just be for some new shorts! That's a cheap lesson!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

I get on my brakes quickly, before I am all in with the rudder.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Welcome to the club! Someone told me there are two types of TW pilots. Those who have ground looped and those who will. Glad you and the plane are ok.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

As a fellow, and 2 time member of the crusty shorts club, bully for you!

I concur with the advice to get on the brakes early, before you run out of elevator or rudder. Takes a bit of courage, but you can correct forward pitch with elevator back, and get a feel for it quick. Then, as you're already on the brakes, you're already resisting any temptation to dosee doh, and ready to correct for any that starts to develop.

Alternately, many prefer a three point landing in a cross wind. I dunno. I feel like you place yourself in a position of greater helplessness. There's a margin of safety in rear wheel plantedness, but, as I say, you're also more helpless with less rudder, less lift, less speed vor a burst of power to pull you straight, or launch you into a go-round.

Just a few thoughts...