Scatter human ashes

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Scatter human ashes

Post by John Ashcroft »

I have been asked by a friend if I would scatter the ashes of her late father over her property.
I have an M5 235, my thoughts are to put a 3" flexible pipe out through the rear passenger door into the slipstream, fix it to the rear seat somehow and tie the door partially closed.
Has anyone got any thoughts on a better way?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Do some searching past posts there's a thread that speaks specifically to this. Seems to me I even remember someone detailed how they made a venturie vacuum.
The best Government, is less Government.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Thanks, will do

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just a thought, but I would test any device you make just to be sure it works properly.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

John, this is the post mentioned. http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

The last post has a very simple looking arrangement but no explanation as to exact layout. It looks like one gate valve opens to allow airflow to pass along the tube taking contents along with it.

+1 for Mog's thoughts.

edit: Keeping it simple. Straight 3' length pvc plumbing pipe cable-tied to struts outboard. Cap front end so that a string can break the seal. You could do same on rear end with another string to break seal, or fit a pvc flap valve held closed by tape with string to release. All available at Bunnings.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

That sounds good, just need to be sure we get to the site with everything intact

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Another thought. what about if the ashes were put in a paper bag with a small hole cut in it with tape over the hole. attach a string to the tape, drop the bag from the plane, the string removing the tape.

What do you think?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

there is a "windsock" type of device that is used and works with out fail. can be fashoned out of nylon with a open end, about 4-5 feet total with a hand hold or loop at upper end. pour ashes into end wraping up like a burrito rolling up to the hand hold, when ready hold hand out windo/door allowing it to unroll and the ashes are disperced well behind any openings of the aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Et3QdycU4

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Wup
what about the tail plane?
Do you think it would damage it?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

im sure if you do it everyday you will get some abrasion but a one time deal I don't think would cause any issues.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Thanks Wup

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

If you're worried run a strip of tape on leading edge to protect against any damage

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Looks cheap and efficient Wup.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Thanks for all of your input, we scattered the ashes yesterday without a hitch. A brown hot dog bag with a slit cut in it, tape and string over the slit. A stronger string tied and taped to the ends of the bag. Pax, pushed the bag through the vent window in the back, the main string was tied to the seat frame. The idea was to pull the string under the tape to release the goods, but it trailed in the slipstream for 20 or so seconds before self destructing. No mess and everyone was happy.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Congratulations on a successful mission John. As Wup pointed out, keeping it simple is the way to go.