VG'S AND STALL'S

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
twheel

VG'S AND STALL'S

Post by twheel »

I'm considering putting VG's on my M5-235 and I'm curious if anyone has experienced any disadvantage in their stalling characteristics. A friend put them on his Husky and was very impressed with the results but did find one negative effect. The Husky will have a pretty abrupt break in the stall at about 50% power. So a “half power on stall”. Anyone see this on the maule?

Thanks. :roll:

Gene

Post by Gene »

Just the opposite!. We did a series of stall tests with our M-6 before and after we put the VGs on. Power on stalls before were pretty serious breaks with a lot of negitive g. After install the airplane just does not want to quit. I got to the point of stalling the airplane on final to bleed off altitude, 700 fpm desent with zero airspeed indicating. Best mod you can put on a Maule

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

TWHEEL-

Don't wait just do it and you will love it!! 8)

beaver

Post by beaver »

agreed, excellent addition to wing, only negative is with wind during landing the wing will be the last thing to quit working with VG's added. Once the tail is down in the wind the wing still wants to fly !!!

I agree with Wup, just do it

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Get rid of all flaps as soon as first wheel touches on landing, or before if you want to hit a specific spot. This will change the stall speed by so much, especially if you go through to neg. 7 that the wing would need a 20mph gust to fly again.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

maules.com wrote:Get rid of all flaps as soon as first wheel touches on landing, or before if you want to hit a specific spot.
I've used this technique for many years. An old crop duster pilot taught me this to stop float in a cherokee. It became second nature to me to slowly start bringing the flaps up while in rotation for landing.

I hired a young IP once to give me a flight review in my M4. This boy got very upset with me about doing this. He said something like; Do that again and this ride is over. I just had to explain to him that this was my airplane and he was working for me and if he distracted me again, his ride was over.

I understand his concern, though. It's imperative you be looking outside and not have your head below the panel at this time.
Real pilots fly airplanes built in Moultrie.
Real good pilots fly yellow airplanes that smell like poison built in Albany.

twheel

Thanks

Post by twheel »

Thanks! :lol: