180 cold start

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
cj8vet

180 cold start

Post by cj8vet »

OK we did the start topic for the 540 how about my 0-360? I think cold is a relative subject-Texas summer cold starts are way diff than texas winter cold starts in my opinion--my poh only says "prime as needed" and no mention of the boost pump except for emergency start in air. it seems winter 3 shots of prime are needed but "summer cold" no prime BUT I was taught to also prime with throttle in the summer,....
comments /help please
mark
MXT-180
N234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

I have a O-360 and I use three shots of prime, throttle 1/2" in and start.(Of course you have to do that other stuff) I use that method for hot or cold weather.

When the engine is hot, I use one shot of prime.

One thing I did learn is not to pump the throttle to get it started. That can result in a backfire that sets things on fire! :shock:
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

N9657

Post by N9657 »

I have te same plane (m5 180) and have found the same to be true. 3 shots of prime cold one warm no throttle. (I pull mine all the way out and twist in 3/4 turn

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

For cold I do 1 shot of prime and pull the prop through 10 or so times and by the time I get in to hit the key it fires on the first blade and I don't use prime in the summer or when warm outside and it hits on the 2nd or 3rd blade.

All is done with full rich and at idle cut off (0 throttle)

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

3 cold
1 hot
crack throttle
purr

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

ok the 3/1 has been working fine--BUT yesterday--I had a mission--needed to fly 3-2hr legs around Texas--28degrees in hangar--and out--pulled out--pre flighted-- did the 3/1 and about 1/2 throttle---didnt start--ended up flooding it-tried flooded start-idle throttle an full lean--never got much--got 1 start-very rough--started leaning smoothed out then died...
mechanic pulled top plugs-cleaned cked/replace--nothing---pullled all plugs cleaned replaced-took a bit but finally got her started-flew fine

what did I do wrong? I like/need reliable vehicles :-)

mark
mxt-180
N234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Did you do a KTS* before you tried starting? :lol:

I think that 1/2 throttle might have been a little to much. Did you mean 1/2" on the throttle?

*Kiss the Spinner
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Yesterday morning was a bit cold for our area. In a non fuel injected engine I would have primed 3 or 4 pumps then cracked the throttle (in no more than an inch). Repeat it no start.
If you flood it it will be dripping profusely all over the ground. Push throttle in all the way (wide open) for a few minutes, start cranking as she starts sputtering hold it to the firewall, when she begins to increase RPM pull throttle back to keep RPM's in range. ALWAYS keep one hand on throttle while attempting this "flooded start"

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Didnt KTS will from now on

re throttle it was about 3 turns on the verneer the first time, the other 800 times it was full in full out 1/2 way in 1.236 inches in...yep it was dripping fuel, we early on--probably after the 3rd or 4th regular try tried the flooded method.
what seemed strange was some of the middle attempts we tried 1-2primes and it seemed to almost get some response...so I kept telling myself it must not be flooded at the same time telling myself it has to be flooded

I guess it is safe to assume after 2 normal trys it IS flooded, so go t that methodfor try 3?

1 CFII from upnorth told me he likes to turn the engine over about 10 times with the key while at full lean/idle to allow the spark and compression to do a mini pre heat, crazy idea?

thanks again
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

yes, crazy idea. The least amount your starter is used the better it works and the longer it works. Starters tend to heat up quickly, so after spinning her 15 seconds or so take a break and relax. You will find "the sweet spot" and she will start every time.
Remember, a CFI is a flight instructor, not an engine man.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Mine likes about 3 shots of prime, just crack the throttle 1/8" - 1/4" and crank in normal temps... When colder, may need about 5 shots of the primer... If you have fuel running out bottom of cowl, something is wrong? Primer injects the fuel directly in the cylinders. Fuel running out bottom of cowl would be indication of either pumping the throttle, stuck float, or something under the needle and seat not allowing the fuel to shut off into the float bowl. It could also be an indication of a broken or cracked primer line which is fairly common and would certainly explain why it's not wanting to start? They generally crack / break in the area of the "B" nut at the cylinder?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

cj8vet

starting update

Post by cj8vet »

update--I have been using 3 prime/1 throttle prime--then needing to advance the throttle as it sounds like it wants to start.
Yesterday ,55'F , I tried 3 throttle primes, 3 "screws in" and she started on the 3rd blade ! Ran smooth. Yea!!!

Just thought I'd give ya'll an update
Thanks
Mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

With my 1986 MX-7-180 in cold weather I use 4 strokes of primer and 1/2" of throttle. The first stroke of primer doesn't count since it only establishes suction. Below 50F I pre-heat with forced air since I don't have a Tanis system. That's more conservative than the conventional wisdom of using preheat below 40F but it makes starting easier and reduces engine wear. I like the heated air approach since it heats all of the engine more evenly and quickly. If it's sunny out and above 32F, I point the airplane into the sun with the windows closed to heat up the cabin and battery. If it's below 32F and I'm in the hangar where I have access to electricity, I use a small space heater on low heat on the floor in front of the rear seat to warm up the battery and gyros. Preheating makes a world of difference in cold weather starting. The type of oil might also be a factor. My A&Ps talked me out of Aeroshell 15W-50 and into Aeroshell 80+ in the winter. The 15W-50 is thinner and a little easier to start in cold weather but they think that it shortens engine life even though it is recommended for all temperatures by Lycoming. I stay away from pumping the throttle in cold weather since it will cause a backfire and possibly a fire in the air filter.

I use metal foil duct tape over part of the oil cooler baffle intake screen to increase the oil temperature below 30F ambient.

In hot weather my POH says not to prime. Instead turn on the electric fuel pump before starting to generate more fuel pressure and it usually starts right up. Just remember to switch off the electric fuel pump.

Andy

bazman

Cold Start MX7 180 A

Post by bazman »

Forgive me if I really did a stupid thing, but I'm still new to flying...

This morning, the outside temp was 24F. I tried pre-heating the engine of my 93 MX7 180A with what I had available (exhaust from my truck via dryer vent tubing) into the cowling. No hanger is available and no electricity in the area.

It still didn't want to start.

After it flooded, it did start using a flooded engine start, but I have to be doing something wrong. It took way too long and was close to completely draining the battery.

Should I have NOT used the primer at the first? :?:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Four shots of prime, usually the first one does not pick up fuel to pump.
Mixture in.
Throttle cracked.
No boost pump.
Turn key.
If battery is strong, and it fires, give throttle a full pump in and out to cracked and it should start.
Don't pump throttle if battery is weak.
A catalytic heater at air egress and an insulated blanket or sleeping bags over the cowling will preheat, though it takes a while to penetrate the whole engine. Car exhaust is not hot and for every gallon of fuel you burn, you produce just shy of a gallon of water vapour.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide