Fat man Vs Maule, and Hello

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
TSUDTELL

Fat man Vs Maule, and Hello

Post by TSUDTELL »

Hi, I am new to the forum. Getting back to flying after 30 years. Seriously looking at Maules but, not sure I can get in one...
Is there anyone around the Wasilla, Palmer, Big Lake area that is willing to let my try to get in there Maule?
I have heard stories that men bigger then I have owned them but I am not very limber.
Getting into my son's C180 with 31's could be on America Funnest Videos.. :lol:

Thanks and looks like a nice group.

Ted

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I'm 6'5" and 265lbs. I fit well enough, but I can still get around pretty well. I don't use the step really to get in but use it to get out sometimes.

TSUDTELL

Post by TSUDTELL »

I'm 6feet and 295lb and move around fine. Just not limber, worried about pulling leg in.

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

Ted, welcome to the group.

I've had front seat passengers from a wiry 94 year old Liberator pilot to a 300+ pound photographer in my MX-7. I'm somewhere in between and yes, it's not the easiest airplane to get in and out of.

But as a Swiss friend remarked when I was contemplating being a Maule owner, "difficile ne veut pas dire désagréable" - difficult doesn't mean disagreeable.

He was actually referring to the Maule's (undeserved) reputation for misbehaving on the ground, but his comment probably holds true for most human endeavour.
MX-7-180 N280SA

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

I think the Maule is well designed to be a difficult mount, no matter your size. I'm 5'10" and 200lbs, and my girlfriend is considerably thinner, yet we both had to do that peculiar dance, the Maule Limbo, today to get in and out again.

Do,try one on for size, but give it more than just one try before you decide not to buy.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

The Maule's issue is not so much space but ingress and egress. Worse in the Trigears I think. I'm 6'1" 160 pounds and I can do it well enough at 52 years old. Check back when I'm 62 may be a different story.

Once inside the Maule has all the room you need, but no more. Short on hip and shoulder room, especially if one of the occupants is larger than the FAA standard 170 pounds.

The back seat is very tight, regardless of persons size. Back seat occupands learn to adopt a knees in the chest postion.

Always let the larger/less mobile front seat occupant get in first with the front seat empty so they can use space on both sides to get situated.

DON'T load heavy back seat passengers in a Trigear without someone in the front seat or the plane turns into a taildragger with the nosewheel in the air resting it's tail on the tiedown. Harmless but does not inspire passenger's confidence in the aircraft. I know this firsthand...

I think Cessnas like the 172/182 are much rommier (especially in legroom) and much easier to get in and out of the front seat. The Maule of course is easier to load and get into the back seat.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TSUDTELL

Post by TSUDTELL »

Thanks all for the input it was greatly appreciated. I ended up getting a M5 235C. I get in OK but I use both seats. Getting out is another story, I just, fall out. I was planning on getting larger bush wheels but I think the fall would be too far and too funny, for other people watching.

TSUDTELL

Post by TSUDTELL »

Thanks all for the input it was greatly appreciated. I ended up getting a M5 235C. I get in OK but I use both seats. Getting out is another story, I just, fall out. I was planning on getting larger bush wheels but I think the fall would be too far.
Last edited by TSUDTELL on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Congratulations on your new bird. Exiting remains an ungraceful display for me too, reaching out and back with my left foot in search of the foot peg, then just as awkwardly finding a way to bring my right back and through.

Happy flying.