gas and oil

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Gary Raser

gas and oil

Post by Gary Raser »

I am new to a Maule I have a M7-235 on spring gear with 8.5 tires. I am keeping the oil level at 6 quarts on the dip stick thinking it is about 7 in level flight. And I don't know how to tell when the outboard tanks are empty, the gauges bounce around a lot and I don't think it is a good idea to run them dry

Thanks for any help
Gary

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

When the needles stop bouncing they are dry.

I agree to leave a little fuel in the outboard tanks to keep the pumps wet.

Unless there are unusual circumstances (great fuel price, light load, cold weather) I only leave a few gallons in the aux tanks.

43 gallons is plenty and useful load is important. Also there is a higher polar moment of inertia in roll axis with the outboard tanks weighted with fuel.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

xcflyn

Post by xcflyn »

I am no expert being a new maule driver. But I fill all my aux tanks when I fill my mains then transfer my fuel when my mains get down under a half, Keeps everything in the system lubed, tested, and functioning. Just my way not "the" way.

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

Post by gregorydshanks »

According to maule, the aux tank pumps are the "diaphragm" type you can run dry with no adverse effect.