Throttle technique...

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
chadga

Throttle technique...

Post by chadga »

I'm a wannabe Maule driver that seems to struggle with not having complete control over my throttle. I love the concept of having a vernier throttle, as opposed to a friction lock, but have found myself with power in when I meant to have been at idle for landing. Am I missing something or do I just need more time in airframe? I'm using a "thumb on top" concept for approach power manipulations.
M5-180C
A&P
(802)258-1521

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

I would just rec to learn to pull that throttle back all the way when starting that flare. If that engine is producing power it should be obvious. Just a matter of practice and discipline to get it right. It should be the exception rather than the norm to land with some juice on the engine. It just sounds like a little bit of practice and mental discipline will get you pulling that throttle to complete idle during the flare. Good luck.
Loogie

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Not sure what the "thumb on top" technique is but I tend to hold the back of the throttle knob between my middle fingers and depress the button w/ my palm. That turns it into a non-vernier throttle for takeoffs and landings.

Down side is blisters early in the season of if I am doing a lot of practice work during a day. Tape and/or glove solves blister problem.

TD

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

The way mine is set up pulling it all the way back gets me about 700-750 RPM.

Turning it counterclockwise about a turn gets me down to 600 or so RPM. The difference matters.

Important to not force it. If there is any resistance to turning don't do it, but with mine there is a little 'slack' that this technique takes up.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

xcflyn

Post by xcflyn »

Loogie wrote:I would just rec to learn to pull that throttle back all the way when starting that flare. If that engine is producing power it should be obvious. Just a matter of practice and discipline to get it right. It should be the exception rather than the norm to land with some juice on the engine. quote]

Are you 100% on that comment ? Just asking as I tend to have my best landings (3 pt) with some power (1500 RPM). Not sure if that's all the time or not as I don't stare at the tach. This is a short wing M4 and that may be a little different animal ? Just looking for more options as not all my landings go exactly as planned and I am new to the Maule ~

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Cheap fix, replace the throttle with a non-vernier type. I did and I am glad.

chadga

Post by chadga »

I've flown the acft about 15 hours since I posted this and don't have issues with the throttle on landing anymore. As some of the experienced Maule guys have stated...now that I'm getting accustomed to the vernier throttle/prop controls I am starting to recognize the advantages. ~3/4 of a turn on the throttle and my engine cranks up at 1,000 RPM every time!
M5-180C
A&P
(802)258-1521

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I got rid of that damn vernier throttle days after buying the plane. Awkward to say the least!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners