Not enough elevator? M4

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Old thread, but I am wondering if any of you went to the 80 inch prop...
I have the 76 inch McCauley at the end of an IO360 on 31s with extended ABW gear on the M4.
Thanks.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I am working on doing it now... just starting the process but lots of red tape.

TomD
100+ Posts

landings

Post by TomD »

I don't think there is any magic landing speed number that applies to all landings.

M4 and M5 drivers have less wing than M6 and above; therefore, less lift and need to carry a skosh more speed.

landing with just pilot and low fuel is a whole world difference than landing at max gross. Stall speeds vary across the percentage of gross curve.

That being said, I personally am not fond of behind the curve operations. If the fan stops or something else changes quickly it can get way too exciting at low altitudes.

Jeremy has this stall approach that works but it is all in the timing. When you nail it it is way cool, if you don't it is time for new landing gear bolts. :shock:

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hey Tom,

Does Jeremy describe/discuss/demonstrate this technique anywhere you can provide a link for?

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

TxAgfisher wrote:I am working on doing it now... just starting the process but lots of red tape.

Please keep us up to date...

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Jeremy..... you want to chime in here?

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Brenton C wrote:Hey Tom,

Does Jeremy describe/discuss/demonstrate this technique anywhere you can provide a link for?
From what I remember (and how I fly it) it is behind the power curve all the way down. With VG's, the airplane just sinks at 1000fpm with no power and full elevator - you are trading altitude for forward energy. The result is a steep approach but the forward energy is reduced immensely. It is arrested by a shot of power (sometimes to WOT) basically as soon as you pass into ground effect. It is all timing and feel.

You can ease into it by leaving some power in or not being locked back on the elevator to decrease the descent rate as you get familiar with doing it.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

On the slow approach you will be in the back side of the power curve only if you are coming in too shallow. You should be using energy management by coming in higher than normal which should require very little power. You should not be dragging the plane in. A good solid burst of power may be needed to mimic the flare.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

What Mog said.

The approach that I understand is the wings leading edges are just above the horizon line and I manage descent rate with power.

Still takes timing as the ground approaches or it is a "bag of bricks" landing.

TD

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

TomD wrote:What Mog said.

The approach that I understand is the wings leading edges are just above the horizon line and I manage descent rate with power.

Still takes timing as the ground approaches or it is a "bag of bricks" landing.

TD
That's funny, Tom. "Bag of bricks" describes it.

I'm not sure if it's the plane's comfort, as it were, or my comfort . . . but my plane seems to really settle into the approach when it's high/steepish, slow (55 mph), with just a bit of power to regulate the descent.

The plane seems to like it, and I felt more comfortable and confident.

zamfire

Post by zamfire »

Old post I know but:

I recently got my M4 with an O-300 and vortex generators.

I could not get it to stall. It mushed. I checked the elevator travel and found it was way too little. About 20 degrees. I adjusted it (involved removing rusted stop bolts and lots of fabrication and cursing...) and set the travel to 27 degrees.

Now it still won't stall unless you seriously yank the yoke back harshly. At 2000rpm and 45mph it keeps altitude with the yoke all the way back. It's downright disconcerting. How much it has to do with the VGs I don't know since this is the only Maule I've ever flown.
1965 M-4 Jetason, O-300 Ser.no 089. Flabob CA.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

It's the VG's. I've never flown a Maule that didn't just mush so long as it had them.
TJ Van Matre