Not enough elevator? M4

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Not enough elevator? M4

Post by TxAgfisher »

I'm getting deeper into learning the M4, albeit only around 20 hours in it at this point... I'm finding that unless you accelerate a power off stall it won't break, it just mushes and drops at around 800-1000fpm. Mine is heavy, something I need to look at working on, but the problem is that without the elevator authority a slow approach is just a sink and has to be arrested with power. That in itself is ok, but it requires quite a bit and the timing has to be spot on.

I can fly it in at 60mph and still stop with maybe 3-400' ground roll but when I get it right flying it in at 45mph or less it will
Be stopped in under 200'.

Just curious as to if others are experiencing the same thing.

Also, I think it ought to get off the ground faster... I think I'm just over 300' with just me and about 1/2 - 3/4 fuel.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Not enough elevator? M4

Post by Hottshot »

TxAgfisher wrote:I'm getting deeper into learning the M4, albeit only around 20 hours in it at this point... I'm finding that unless you accelerate a power off stall it won't break, it just mushes and drops at around 800-1000fpm. Mine is heavy, something I need to look at working on, but the problem is that without the elevator authority a slow approach is just a sink and has to be arrested with power. That in itself is ok, but it requires quite a bit and the timing has to be spot on.

I can fly it in at 60mph and still stop with maybe 3-400' ground roll but when I get it right flying it in at 45mph or less it will
Be stopped in under 200'.

Just curious as to if others are experiencing the same thing.

Also, I think it ought to get off the ground faster... I think I'm just over 300' with just me and about 1/2 - 3/4 fuel.

Your first issue of the "Mush" is the standard Maule Stall that we all know and love, pretty much spot on with the rest of your description. As for getting airborn faster you are correct in that it should an can, this is why we pushed to get the Extended gear on the Maule as it don't have enough AOA on stock gear and small tires. 31's and the tall gear are about the perfect combo to have as it will almost turn the standard TO into a WOW factor.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

It's on 31's, been looking at the extended gear as well... What about the landing issue? Is it just getting down the timing?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

TxAgfisher wrote:It's on 31's, been looking at the extended gear as well... What about the landing issue? Is it just getting down the timing?
Yeppers.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Just realized I was talking to a legend! Did you sell 11ZA to Ross or was there an owner in between?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

TxAgfisher wrote:Just realized I was talking to a legend! Did you sell 11ZA to Ross or was there an owner in between?

Legend ..... Not me, Im just happy to help where I can. I don't know half as much as many others on this site. Ross bought Alpha from us but it is all his now that bird is SHARP!

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Did you see it at Johnson Creek? I've only heard what little Ross will tell me... Can't wait to actually see it.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

TxAgfisher wrote:Did you see it at Johnson Creek? I've only heard what little Ross will tell me... Can't wait to actually see it.
Been watching the build its beautiful

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Is there any kind of number tied to the improvement with the extended gear? I haven't seen one in person on an M4 - what kind of TO numbers can you expect? I don't feel like there is much more I can get out of it as is. That however may be a completely ignorant statement from a low time pilot!

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

check your elevator travel.. .when I bought my m4 years ago i found it wasn't going to full travel .. and when i went to 29 11 10's the difference in take off was very noticeable...i expect extended gear will also increase performance...what prop do you have... mine is a 76 inch mccauley... been told that the 80 -82 inch prop will really wow you... with the 80 being the better choice...I would go for the prop before the long gear but that's just me... both are on my wish list...I have the IO 360 so if you have the Franklin that's a horse of a different color... meaning the prop....
Iceman

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I have a 76" McCauley C67 on it.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

TxAgfisher wrote:It's on 31's, been looking at the extended gear as well... What about the landing issue? Is it just getting down the timing?
yeah it is all timing... I was dropping it for a long time trying to land it like myold tripacer... a tripacer it is not.... then I started controling my decents with more power.. now it's knowing when to add a bit of power just above ground to arrest the plop....and soften the touchdown...right now I'm flying a few hours a week getting tuned up for Idaho 15 july.... slow flight and spot landings are paramount.....
Iceman

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

continental or franklin... i have a bunch of info in my hangar on props for mine I have a 209 or 203... never can remember which but I think the 203 is the prop to get cut down to 80 inches... i will check next time i get to the hangar and get back to you. in any case either upgrade will be a plus... and yes Wup is a legend....lol
Iceman

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Sorry, it's an IO-360.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

ok we are both in the same boat , so to speak.,,, I'll get all the prop info for you love my M4... it's been a great plane...
Iceman