best short field landings

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
plowboy

best short field landings

Post by plowboy »

Is it more efficient to drag it in with power, or steep approach arresting descent with a blast of power ? Assuming over the fence speed is the same, will the landings be the same length? That is assuming the you are not coming in over obstructions.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Backcountry Pilots web site has several instructional videos. Look on the site under the features section and click on landings. The videos are STOL: attitude flying, STOL: approach, and STOL: go round. These are very good videos and address your question directly. I am working on the technique presently and have found my landings getting shorter and better, although I am not ready for a sandbar yet.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I don't think it's an 'either/or' thing, it depends on the situation.
For example, you might want a steep approach when there are obstacles in the approach path. Or you might want to drag it in with a flatter approach profile because the surface is rough and you need better visibility over the nose.
Try both and figure out which works better for you.
Report back here with your findings!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

sbmaule

Post by sbmaule »

I agree with rezrider, however I think a steep approach (stall decent) will make for a shorter landing roll.
A 500 fpm decent rate is around 5 kts vert speed, alot of which you can subtract from your forward speed if youre flying on the edge of the envelope.
a burst of power will be required to arrest sink rate but will have little effect on forward speed increase on touchdown.