Maule M-5 210C on Floats?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
AK-JPH

Maule M-5 210C on Floats?

Post by AK-JPH »

I was wondering if anyone had any experiance with a M-5 210C on floats? How does it perform? How does it fly? What seem to be the best floats? Thanks

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Call Wup,

He has a friend that had one who loved it. He could give you some info.

http://www.akbushwheel.com

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I got my float rating in one a billion years ago. It was on EDO 2440's. Most common float in the 70's was PK 2300 or the EDO 2440 which was a bit doggy until EDO changed the strut lengths. I've also flown the M5-210 on Fiberfloat 2400's.
Each float is as different as night and day.
PK for rough water but less floatation
EDO for flatter water and better floatation but most have no hatches.
Fiberfloat for tough, run up on rocks, very tight taxi maneouvers, big hatches, flat decks, but heavy and needing special understanding.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

carl

Post by carl »

At last, maybe You guys can answer my question regarding the 2440:s. What is the difference between the 248A and the 248B2440:s, strut length only or something else ? I have the A versíon on my M4-210C and I like them. However, I havent flown any other Maule on any other float so there is little to compare with.

Thankful for comments on this.

Regards,

Carl.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If your plane sits in a taildragger tail low attitude on the 2440's on the water, it has longer front struts, shorter rear. The later struts sit the plane at a more level attitude. That geometry change of the later struts will allow a better angle of attack versus float planing angle and allow quicker takeoff, especially at altitude when you have reduced manifold pressure.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

rogerapfeifer

Post by rogerapfeifer »

i have owned and flown an m4 maule on edo 2440b floats with an io360a 195 horsepower from 1979 to 2003 it performed fairly well at 2300 lbs. once i got over that weight it took a little longer to get out of the water especially if it was loaded a little aft. in 2003 i bought an m6 235 horse which grosses at 2750 on floats. i put the same set of floats that i had on the m4 under the m6. i am not satisfied with how it gets on step and everyone else i have talked to with an m6 or m7 say their planes jump on step. once the m6 is on step it does real well. i have both sets of rear strut that jeremy mentioned an so far i can not tell the difference. the only things i have not checked are wing wash and dihedral (sp). i feel there is something wrong with how this airplane is set up/ rigged. i am still looking.
on another note be careful, there is a model of edo 2440 that were made for bird dogs and the spreader bars are in a completely different location. float flying in alaska is really great it opens up a lot more country for hunting and fishing
rog pfeifer .
x army helicopter pilot, in ak since 1970,flown maules since 79, own m4 and m6. most time on floats but have whls and skis. use plane mostly to hunt and fish. have been in most corners of ak and would be happy to share any knowledge

AK-JPH

Post by AK-JPH »

Thanks for the information. I am currently looking for a set though there dosn't seem to be to many here in Alaska.

TomD
100+ Posts

Floats for sale

Post by TomD »

My M5-235C is on Aqua 2400's, but I don't know if they are usable on a M4 or not.

In any case here is a link for a set for sale:

http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/p ... php?t=2006

Karl Hartlen

Post by Karl Hartlen »

rogerapfeifer wrote:on another note be careful, there is a model of edo 2440 that were made for bird dogs and the spreader bars are in a completely different location. float flying in alaska is really great it opens up a lot more country for hunting and fishing
rog pfeifer .
Would someone know how to identify these floats :?: I am presently looking for 2440 and would like to know..

Thanks,

Karl

aero101
100+ Posts

M4 Floats

Post by aero101 »

Would suggest checking with Ed Peck up in Nova Scotia at http://www.peckaero.com/ .... He might have a set of 2440's or know of a serviceable set around as he's very knowledgeable and a great source of parts, etc... Haven't seen an M4 on floats and have heard they don't perform very well, but that doesn't mean much as that's what a lot of folks say about Maule's in general and I've found just the opposite to be true!!! 2440's are hard to find in descent shape, good luck shopping. Another option might be a set of aqua 2400's with a field approval, but I'd get the approval prior to purchasing? I think the aqua's set up for a Maule would bolt right on? Good Luck!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Karl Hartlen

Post by Karl Hartlen »

Thanks Jim,

you are right about the M4's reputation on floats. It is a lot of BS, I have a set of CAP2000 with my Maule and they have surprised an awful lot of so called float experts around here.

I am looking for the 2440's to handle the up-gross mod on my M4. Now that 2300 lbs. is standard gross, I want a set of floats that wont look like submarines in moderate waters :shock:

I'll see if I can reach Mr. Peck to check with him..

Thanks,

Karl

TomD
100+ Posts

floats

Post by TomD »

I have a M5 235C which I run on Aqua 2400's ( have not been on for a couple of summers) and I do know that they are STC'ed for M5-235C and may be STC'ed for the 210C as well.

I like the flat tops on the Aquas since getting out of the M5 in a hurry at the dock can be awkward add that to then stepping on a round float might yield more swims than I would like.

TD

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

maules.com wrote:If your plane sits in a taildragger tail low attitude on the 2440's on the water, it has longer front struts, shorter rear. The later struts sit the plane at a more level attitude. That geometry change of the later struts will allow a better angle of attack versus float planing angle and allow quicker takeoff, especially at altitude when you have reduced manifold pressure.
Sorry to drag up an old thread but i am looking at changing the angle of the floats to generate a little more angle of attack and get the heels out of the water. My physical float dimensions are nearly identical to edo 2440's so I am interested in learning about them.

Jeremy which struts are the better performers, aircraft tail low or aircraft tail high?? I would have thought tail low as this would generate more angle of attack however you say that the later (most recent ?) struts sit the aircraft more level and this is a better agle of attack for quicker take off ?? I can see how it would allow for better acceleration on the water but just want to make sure i am understanding this properly.

Does anyone have specific numbers for the angle between float and aircraft ?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I know for sure that the Edo 2440 floats on the Maule M5-210C performs better with the later longer rear struts (tail high).
Kenmore who now controls Edo should be able to give you the angle befort and after.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I'm putting some fiberfloats on the m4 but need an aluminum float fitting if anyone knows where I might find a guy with used parts for them...... 9072526344