Static rpm for the 180 FP

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
tellicovillage
100+ Posts

Static rpm for the 180 FP

Post by tellicovillage »

What do you typically see at takeoff brakes held full power?
I have a standard FP prop + 180 horse and only get about 2400 rpm but will get to 2700 firewalled and level. The reason I'm asking is to take off seems long.
Last edited by tellicovillage on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

That is the same engine and propeller set up I have, and I am not at the plane, but that sounds about right. You're not going to get redline rpm static, you need a flow of air into the propeller arc, to get the engine to spin up to full RPM. I would consider that normal. This, is a major downside of our fixed pitch propeller's. You don't get rated horsepower at less then redline rpm at the beginning of a take off roll.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Also density altitude would matter also. At lower temperatures and lower field elevations, the air will be "thicker" and you will develop less rpm at static run up. I suppose at a high enough density altitude, you could get closer to red line. Of course there is a law of diminishing returns on this as well, and very high density altitudes, the engine will not make rated power at any RPM, instead the RPM will drop again.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843