realalistic T.O. & landing test

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Rezrider
100+ Posts

realalistic T.O. & landing test

Post by Rezrider »

I've always been curious what the actual take off and landing distances were so i decided to conduct an experiment.
I got together with some buddies of mine and we went down to a dirt strip nearby with my long contractors tape measure and a can of paint. We made a displaced threshold to give us some space from the power lines on final.
We then marked out 400 ft, 500 ft, 600 ft and 700 ft marks on the side of the runway.

Obviously the conditions will have a lot to do with the data and we had the following: light to no wind, 6900 ft field elevation and about 25-28 deg C. The density altitude was over 9000 feet. My M5 had almost full mains and a box of crap in the back, My buddy had his M7 with full mains and the 3rd guy was in a 185 with half fuel and he emptied his box of crap out.(I think he thought he was at Valdez or something!)

My first take off from the line was the typical wheel take off with 1 notch of flaps and I was airborne in about 650-700 feet. I came around for the first landing and was stopped between 600-650 feet.
We just made stop and goes from that point to keep the runway clear for everyone else. One landing was a floater probably 25 feet beyond the line and I stopped closer to 700 feet and I had one scratch just short of the line by about 5 feet on one of the landings.
I taxied back to the line for a 3 point 2 notch flaps take off and was airborne a little shorter than the first take off.

Here are the main points we came away with after that. We were surprised to note that almost all of our take offs and landings were in the same 600-700 ft range in all 3 planes. It was remarkably consistent.
I had always thought in my mind that my landing distances would be shorter than my take off distances and this was not the case. Landing short was difficult due to the tires sliding under braking and the tail coming up. Another thing I noticed is that dumping flaps on landing roll out made no real difference to the distance, in fact it was more of a distraction while trying to focus on getting stopped and staying straight.
The 185 stopped a little shorter than the Maules but not by much, he couldn't keep his tail on the ground since it's lighter than the Maules too.
Sliding the tires does not make you stop any shorter!

Other than that, all 3 planes were fairly evenly matched. I wanted some real world numbers so chose to keep the junk box in the back and lots of fuel in the tanks. At that density altitude the performance isn't great but I was surprised to see that we could be flying in about 700 feet.
I read about guys taking off in 200 to 300 feet but that's not the world I live in.

It was great fun to practice these skills and consistently hitting the line in a spot landing is tough. I need way more practice at that. Dragging it in with power usually results in the tail wheel touching first due to the high angle of attack.
Next time we need orange cones since the paint lines were hard to see at times. Of course it didn't help that it was getting dark and there were showers around messing us up with the odd tail wind on landing.
Fun times, I encourage everyone to try it once in a while.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Just saw this thread. Load always makes a difference along with density altitude it just makes good sense to go out and fly under different conditions to build up a set of numbers. Sometime I wish we has a better set of performance charts but that comes from flying with that info at work. I've got some markers on my strip to help judge but I need to get some real numbers and keep track. Your numbers sound very close to what I've been guessing at, I don't have the DA you do mostly in the 2000 -3000 Ft range. I normally have full mains and some in the aux's maybe one pax . Anyway I think I'll make it my next project.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Yip, just go do it. It's a ton of fun anyway :D
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

This will be a great test for me as well in my effort to become "one with my machine"
1983 M6-235C

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

That grass strip will be a perfect place to test the numbers. I recommend the bigger orange rubber cones along one side of the strip. Easier to see.
Having someone out there too, helps figure out lift off and stopping points.
Good luck.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

Rez,

I have already warned the Mrs and daughter that their services will be required for more accurate numbers and Mrs also suggested cones (she has some at her Horse barn)
1983 M6-235C