New Members

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
RocketRick

Post by RocketRick »

Hey this is Rick in ANC. New member.

I'm on the cusp of buying one but can't decided which type..180B or 235.

I betcha a good 180B pilot can make a 180B nearbouts do it all huh?

Thing is, I have a pretty nice deal on a '79 M-5. Been talking to the guy for abt a month now and finally decided to go see it with a A&P tomorrow.

Will of course be hootin' back if I like it Ha!

Keep the shiny side up.

Rick :)

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

Welcome Rick,

My first Maule was a 180B and it was a great machine. What they can't do is overcome density altitude. The higher the density altitude the less horsepower you have. The more you start with the more you have to work with after density altitude has robbed you.

Keep us posted on what machine you end up with.

DonMc

Littlewheelinback

Looking to buy

Post by Littlewheelinback »

I am about to become a new (used) aircraft owner. I really want a Strata-Rocket (M4-220c) or better a Lunar Rocket (M5-220c) but I am still open minded and am looking carefully, learning all I can about purchasing an aircraft (scary). Is there anyone on this site that does Maule pre-buy inspections or will give pre-buy advice? The M4 I am looking at now is very low hours and clean and low priced, but has been seldom flown in recent years. This concerns me as I have heard horror stories of low hours engines that are junk from dis-use.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I love my 1986 MX-7-180, which I've owned for 12 years and flown over 1000 hours, but I'd recommend the M7-235 if you can find a good one that you can afford. The MX-7-180 has a better useful load than the M7-235 but less power means longer ground roll on takeoff and slower climb rate. I'd also recommend fuel injection over a carburetor to avoid carburetor icing and give better performance at higher density altitudes. If you decide on the 180, you should make sure it has the universal wing. My clipped wing does great on wheels but doesn't have as much lift for float operations. The MX fuselage is also shorter than the M series, which means less headroom in the rear seat for tall people.

A friend of mine has a M5-180 that I've flown and it's a good airplane but I still think the M7 is a better all around choice. His M5 was a very low time engine and airframe that had been sitting in a hangar due to the previous owner's medical problems, but it turned out to be in good shape. I can't help you with the M4 but there are plenty of other M4 owners on this forum who can.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If I were looking for a 180, I think I would want one of the older, lighter airplanes even if there is less head room for the people in back. From what I have seen, the newer fuselage with the "hump" in it comes with quite a bit of drag.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Just to add clarification; the fuselage with hump in back is only on the M7 from 1984 on and MT7 from 1993 on and only have the 235 or 260hp engines.
The M, MT, and MX, MXT fuselages are same length outside but M7 and MT7 are longer and higher inside.
Total lengths are dependent upon engine/prop/spinner setup.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

So, no "hump" on the 180's? Makes a lot of sense actually.
Unless it sold Maule had / has a new 180 demonstrator that I think could be bought right

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Oh and I was exactly where you are when I was looking, but I couldn't find anyone that told me I would be happier with a 180. Flying alongside of a 180 same speed, altitude etc and my fuel burn is less than 1GPH more, plus I can push the power up and cruise 10 MPH faster than a 180.
Actually being injected, I can run LOP and theoretically burn less fuel than a 180 will in cruise, because my power is so low.
If it's fuel cost your worried about, I would look real hard at a low compression 235 because you can burn Mogas, but if your burning 100LL exclusively the fuel burn on the low compression motor will be more than the high compression fuel injected one, not a whole lot more, but more.
The savings from Mogas, is HUGE. Figure 2,000 life in the engine and 13 GPH average, that's 26,000 Gl. total. $2 diff per Gl equals $52,000. :shock:
Or as it has been said, burning Mogas comes with a free engine overhaul.

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

A64,
As an idiot, I didn't discover that my 0540 was one of the few of the multiple variations (J) that couldn't burn mogas. Can I borrow $52,000?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

In regards to A64's comments on 180's, I have to say there's advantages and disadvantages to both configurations. Depends upon what kind of flying you're doing and what model 180 you're talking!! The late model MX7-180 is better balanced, lighter, and I dare say I can get into and out of tight places easier and with less abuse on the airplane then the 235's. If you're gonna load up with avionics, gizmo's, etc, and most of your flying is longer range visits to airports, then the 235 is probably the way to go... The 180 M5 is another matter with the shorter wings / flaps, the 235 is certainly going to outperform it in all respects both STOL and cruz. I've been flying an MX7-180 commercially for 7 yrs up here and I wouldn't even consider trying to replace it with a 235. Though at times it would be nice to have an M7-235 as well... Problem is a guy needs about a half dozen airplanes to cover all the various missions?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

Slightly digressing - but on the same topic:

I've flown PA-18s with 90, 135, 150 and 180 HP and by far the nicest to fly in terms of handling (STOL capability aside) was the 90 HP model (L18C). It felt much lighter and more responsive. The worst was the 180.

Having never flown any other model of Maule than a short-wing MX-7-180, I’d be interested to know if the same is said for the lower powered Maule?

Also, would the overhaul price difference between 4 and 6 cylinder engines and their associated propellers be a factor to consider?

BTW, Jeremy, the 'Specifications' button on your website doen't seem to work. The URL appears to be http://www.maules.com/# :?
David
'91 MX-7-180

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maulehigh, 'specifications' button works here. place mouse over blue button and slide right to the page you want of 4 choices.
The lighter the engine, the sweeter to fly, however, the heavier the engine the more the load in the back. Compromises.
Best way to choose is to write down the mission to accomplish and your parameters then pick the model that fits best.
For comparison,
O360 o'haul installed $21000
O540 $30000
IO540 $34000
IO360 Cont $30000
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

kakkenmc wrote:A64,
As an idiot, I didn't discover that my 0540 was one of the few of the multiple variations (J) that couldn't burn mogas. Can I borrow $52,000?
I doubt you could afford to pay the interest twice, as I would have to borrow it as well, and I would have to make money too.
And I'm in the no Mogas boat too in my Maule, but I'll put nothing but Mogas in my 140. :lol:

Jeremy,
What is it that cost more to have the I/O's overhauled?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Higher IO cost is mostly the Fuel servo unit.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Milehigh, I think you've hit the nail on the head... The 150/160 HP supercub will do just about anything the 180HP will do, except it's slower mostly due to fact most of the 180's have the C/S prop. But on the flip side the smaller lighter engine on the nose makes for a much more balanced easier to fly airplane. And easier to fly to me means I'd take it into places that I wouldn't even consider the nose heavy 180HP supercub.....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.