New Members

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
rayplumas

New guy

Post by rayplumas »

Just getting the hang of Serial # 18, M-4 1963. So far so good but I am reading a lot about the tailwheel first landing, I thought it was just me. I am out of the Southern Pines area of North Carolina if anyone else is in the area. based at KSOP :D

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm based at 9A9 in Marion NC about 150 miles west of you. I own a 1986 MX-7-180 which was recently rebuilt by Maule Flight.

Most Maule owners land tailwheel-first sometimes. There are lots of opinions on it. My preference is to land 3-point whenever possible but you need to be proficient in wheel landings in case of strong crosswinds.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

rayplumas

Maule flying

Post by rayplumas »

I am planning to fly to Triple Tree Sat and stay overnight SC00. I am working on prefecting my wheel landings.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm planning to fly to Triple Tree for the day on Saturday if the weather cooperates. Hope to see you there.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

Reviving an old topic....

I am buying a 1983 M6-235 with just over 4000hrs on the clock. Am a new tailwheel disciple and have had some dual in a J3, PA18, Tiger Moth and a Bushbaby (think South African Kit-fox) but never been signed out on any of them.

Chris Erasmus kindly let me fly his Bigfoot (m7-250) with an instructor and has got me even more itching to finish my tailwheel endorsement and get flying in my own Maule.

I fly a Global Express based in Nigeria for a living and live in a small town in eastern South Africa called Himeville.

Been reading so much on the forum trying to absorb it all. Thanks guys!

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Jason, welcome to the proper gear club! You will love your new lady, just make sure you keep you drift to ZERO and keep up with your rudders until you are stopped! She will feel squirrely for a while, after 100+ landings it will all be natural!

After you land and do your post flight, just stand up in front of her, inflate your chest, put your hands on your hips, and relish the moment, and think how unfortunate all those nose wheel drivers are that have never stepped up to the plate! :)

Congrats!
Loogie

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

welcome Jayson, it looks like your purchase of the Maule is a go ahead, congratulations.
It's good to see the SA Maule contingent is growing.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Rez,

Yup, unless something monumental changes, it should be finalised this week. The annual has just been completed at Rand and am sure we will hear from the owner in the next day or so.

I have been fighting the urge to start ordering VG's and Gap seals until I know 100% that its done.

Cant bloody wait. Now I just have to wait till I get home just before Christmas.

This will be one of those "from me, to me" Christmas gifts...

KYLE

Post by KYLE »

Did everything work out ok, Jayson? Hope you are enjoying your new ride!

I am in the process of closing on an M4 and very excited to get her home and start a new aspect of flying.

1700 flight time with 110 of that on a SkyBolt without any issues, but it's been a few years ago, so transitioning back to TW from high performance stuff may be interesting.

Hardest thing right now is the waiting for paperwork... UGH

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Hi Kyle,

Yes, all went well and was finalised in early January. I have completed my conversion and tailwheel endorsement and am really enjoying the Maule. I am now needing to learn the finer details, like learning to fly a LOT slower than I am used to into runways a LOT shorter than I am used to.

All in good time...

Good luck with your deal. Keeping fingers crossed for you
1983 M6-235C

MauleCanuck

Post by MauleCanuck »

Hi All,

Just joined the forum because I just bought a Maule! I'm still in the process of getting my PPL but came up on a good deal for a reasonably low houred 1968 M4-210C Jetason. Fortunately the fellow I bought it from is a good family friend with a lot of hours in the seat of this thing; he will be spending lots more hours in it with me before I'm out on my own in it! He is also going to hangar it for me until mine is built. He has a newer 185 that he bought as a partnership that the other guy wants out of now, which is why he is selling the M4.

I'm located Smack in the middle of Canada in NE Saskatchewan. I farm so besides for shear enjoyment, I am getting my license to check fields/crops, as well as do some ice fishing up north on skis. Nice to see s great community to support these great planes.
1968 M4-210C

MauleCanuck

Post by MauleCanuck »

Hi All,

Just joined the forum because I just bought a Maule! I'm still in the process of getting my PPL but came up on a good deal for a reasonably low houred 1968 M4-210C Jetason. Fortunately the fellow I bought it from is a good family friend with a lot of hours in the seat of this thing; he will be spending lots more hours in it with me before I'm out on my own in it! He is also going to hangar it for me until mine is built. He has a newer 185 that he bought as a partnership that the other guy wants out of now, which is why he is selling the M4.

I'm located Smack in the middle of Canada in NE Saskatchewan. I farm so besides for shear enjoyment, I am getting my license to check fields/crops, as well as do some ice fishing up north on skis. Nice to see s great community to support these great planes.
1968 M4-210C

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Welcome to the asylum, Nipawin.

Good choice. I was torn between the 4 and the 5, but mostly was enamoired with the conti 210 ho power plant.

I'm comfident you'll enjoy the club. And the plane.

MauleCanuck

Post by MauleCanuck »

In this area, there is a pretty active flying community, but it's 80% 170s, 180s, and a few 172 tail wheel conversions and 185s. So kind of nice to have something different. And due to the market bring mostly Cessna, made the M-4 even more affordable.
1968 M4-210C

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

There's a thread somewhere here about discussing relative costs of Maule vs Cessna. I seem to recall a $5k cessna flap compared against a more or less comparable Maule flap for $900.

If only engine repair/replacement/overhaul costs were similarly disparate!

Not to take anything away from Cessnas, but you get a whole lot of plane for your money with a Maule -- and a plane that many think is more fun to fly.