post TO ?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
cj8vet

post TO ?

Post by cj8vet »

still a rookie maule flyer--rookie pilot in general-- I have gotten mixed rec. from cfi's re order of events post TO
1 says MP back to 25,prop back to 25,then flaps
other says flaps, then throttle and prop
comments?
thanks
Mark
mxt-180
N234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

One consideration is your field elevation. If you are above 3000 feet, you may want the benefit of max manifold pressure. Usually I am getting rid of the flaps first, then power/prop. :roll:
1976 M5-235-C

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Just use common sense depending on where your taking off from. CFI's tend to use procedures that work well at the local airport and are the best over all technique. However, what works at one strip can be a little dangerous at another. At my local airport surrounded by houses I come back on the power as soon as I feel it's safe due to noise, then flaps up. At other strips that are short or with obstacles, or the airplane is heavily loaded etc... you will need a maximum takeoff. This would be max power until clear of obstacles then slowly bring flaps up and then power back. Come up with a plan on what you will need to do for that T.O before you start rolling.

Mike

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Seeing as how flap speed is so low, I do flaps first. I like to climb at 100, terrain permitting. My 235 only turns 2400 and quite often I will leave it there in the climb. If I'm travelling, I leave it at full throttle because I'm up high, but I will bring the prop back to 2300.
Now if I'm just wasting time trolling around locally, I'll still get the flaps first, but the power comes way back right after.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Flaps are needed for best angle VX, so at 85mph flaps up for best rate VY of 90mph then cruise climb when desired for noise and safety and efficiency.
Power change as needed for noise or speed or altitude.
Fly the airplane, not the rulebook.
There is no ritual.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

I think most will agree that most engine failures occur after takeoff when reducing power and when closing the throttle in the landing phase.
After takeoff, I climb at VX to clear any obstacles, raise the flaps lower the nose and build speed to VY. I make sure I have enough altitude to make it back to the runway or any suitable landing area before I touch that power lever. Once you get cleaned up and gained some altitude and speed you can then set power and trim for climb.
For landing, I make sure I can get to the runway before I close the throttle. By that time I have flaps and speed set.
The first time I flew a Luscombe was a test flight for an A&P. When I reduced power after takeoff, it stone cold quit. My first landing in a 8E was dead stick one minutes after takeoff. After a little work I took it back out and it would quit when power came below 1500 rpm. Every landing I have in a luscombe is dead stick. That taught me a new meaning of; If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Real pilots fly airplanes built in Moultrie.
Real good pilots fly yellow airplanes that smell like poison built in Albany.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I agree with maintaining full power and Vx until at a safe altitude above obstacles. Then reduce flaps as long as you have a positive rate of climb. Then reduce throttle and RPM to normal climb power at Vy for engine cooling. Flaps add lift and drag and will let you climb out more steeply at a slower airspeed to clear obstacles.

Andy

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Thanks Guys, I guess I should have mentioned I meant the normal long runway TO's at low altitude--we are usually up quick enough to roll it back to 25 and if it quit still land on the runway!

I must confess on my first high alt TO, DA of about 8000, I reflexively reached down to throttle back only to see the MP was only at 22 (iTHINK)anyway...
DUH!!!!
I'll fly the plane not the book
thanks again
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Mountainmauler

Post by Mountainmauler »

cj8vet: becareful of those high density alt. takeoffs when they do happen in summer. Here in Colorado esp. in summer i may leave the throttle all the way in for 20 min. but what took some time getting used to was having the mixure control pulled out almost half way for max power take off. Very dangerous to take off high alt. with mixture full rich.
I usually lean to 50* R.O.P. on the runway, then back off the throttle some, then lean, then adjust rpm, then flaps. But here in Durango field is 6700' and in summer density alt. is often near 8000-10000 on the field. Never mind Telluride or Leadville in the summer.
Ever take 2000' or more to break ground :shock: It is weird with a 235
Peter
2004 M-7 235c