lighter battery?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
sbmaule

lighter battery?

Post by sbmaule »

Original Concorde battery just gave up, looking for a lighter replacement for original mounting tray (in tail) don't want to fool with moving battery location right now.
any suggestions?

2005 M7-235

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Original Battery?

Post by StuporRocket »

Your original Concorde was 10 years old? Nice.

I need a new 35A or 35AXC. What did you replace yours with?
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

with a 0540 the AXC has more power with minimal increase in weight.

That long battery cable is another reason to get more power.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

That's what I'm planning, and will pick it up in the next 2-3 days. Just hoping there was a miracle alternative out there. 2.5lbs at that arm ads up a little quicker, though.
Scott@Oglesby.org

PA-12-150
M-7-235

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

And Thanks, Tom.
Scott@Oglesby.org

PA-12-150
M-7-235

chris_01

Re: lighter battery?

Post by chris_01 »

now, a few years later I ask again the similar question as my battery is becoming weak given the age (4-5 years?!) and the temperatures these days in Germany. I'm reconditioning it right now at home hoping to keep it going for some more flights.
Currently, I have a Concorde G-35A in my MXT-7-180A
Are there any cool alternatives out there? Lighter, cheaper, nicer color or just better?
D-EMUX
MXT-7-180A

vern

Post by vern »

Image Replacing Concorde with Harker SDS J16

Image15# vs 23#-30# for Concorde

chris_01

Post by chris_01 »

oh wow - that's cool indeed!
is it somehow approved by Maule or is it just OK to do it? That's a naive question, I know..

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Here is a copy of my 337 I used to install this battery in 2015. I also moved it under the front passenger seat per a Maule approved drawing.

flyfish1

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

The Odyssey PC680 (SBS J16) is pretty much the standard EXP aircraft go to choice and should be for every GA airplane IMHO. I've been using the 680 and 925 (Harmon Rocket IO540) for over 20 years in my RV4, RV6 with very few complaints.

Advantages:
less than half the weight
AGM vs Lead acid tech (deep cycle CCA)
Can mount in any angle or position
Starts reliably after sitting for extended periods
Lower Cost (Can purchase on Amazon)

Disadvantage
Need a "smart" battery charger as a old school 2/6 amp car chargers damages battery over time.
Requires a 337 for the Maule series. (F Atlee Dodge working on STC for firewall mount)

Thanks to FlyFish for sharing 337 paperwork!

Highly recommended.
V/R
Smokey

www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/odysseydry7.php

chris_01

Post by chris_01 »

Sounds very reasonable.
Just then the question if the Battery needs a smart charger - What about the alternator and the regulator? I run a new PlanePower AL12-70 alternator and the R1224 regulator - Will they do the 'correct' charging?
Mine is mounted at the Firewall. I might be considering to put it under the passenger seat, but that's an option only. Otherwise I will make the box to fit it into the existing mount. Let's see.
Thanks for all your knowledge!

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Chris,

Check the weight and balance before you consider moving the SBS-J16 further aft. Most the 4 cylinder Maule are already a bit aft on cg. Just losing weight at the firewall location will affect how much you can put in the back seats or aft baggage. Moving the lighter battery further back will compound the problem.

I also got 10 years out of my Concorde RG-35AXC, then only 2 years out of a SBS-J16 though I was not doing a conditioning charge on the SBS-J16.

Weight comparisons to work with:
32 lbs Concorde RG-35AXC
29.5 lbs Concorde RG-35A
14.8 lbs SBS-J16

Kirk

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Chris,
Odyssey batteries circuits won't allow over charging by regulated alternators. I've used several different on my RVs from straight Bosch Automotive to PP and B&C. The worst lifespan of a PC680 was 5 yrs of pretty abusive operations.

As far as smart chargers, It's extended charging above 2 Amps they recommend them, which most modern battery tenders are.

When my Concorde croaks, ain't no question what I'm doing!
V/R
Smokey

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I tried the Odyssey battery in my M6 at the far aft position. With that long run up to the starter it had marginal cranking power. On my MX7-160 I use one on the fire wall. It works fine. I do notice that after 5 years it is starting to lose cranking power.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Montana Maule brought up a very good point about the length of battery cable to the starter. If you get a voltage drop between the battery end of the cable and the starter end of more than about 0.3 volts, then there's something wrong or too long a run of cable. Loose or corroded connections or cable crimps can be the problem. You can partially overcome a long run of battery cable with a heavier, lower resistance cable up to a point but that adds weight. If you have a starter solenoid, it's also possible that the contacts are pitted or corroded. Batteries mounted on the firewall are harder to replace due to accessibility but the battery cable run is shorter so the starter gets more voltage. The Odyssey battery seems like a good choice for weight and cranking power but only for Experimental category airplanes.

The Hawker SBS J16 is only available as a field approval for certified Maules. It is rated at 12.3 Ah continuous, 520 cold cranking amps for 5 seconds, and weighs 15.4 lbs. The Concorde RG-35AXC that I have in my MX-7-180 is approved for Maules, rated at 33 Ah continuous, 440 cold cranking amps, and weighs 32 lbs.
Andy
1986 MX7-180