lighter battery?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
AndrewK
100+ Posts

Re: lighter battery?

Post by AndrewK »

When I was in the market for a new battery a year or two ago the factory hinted at getting the Odyssey added to the TC (or whatever they do to keep the FAA happy) but not sure on the status. Post is on here somewhere.

My IA wasn't feeling the field approval route for whatever reason so I ended up going with the Concorde again and will revisit any potential weight savings in 8ish years if it lasts as long as the one I replaced. Maybe by then it will be nothing more than a logbook entry.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

My IA signed off an Odyssey as a log book entry. A TSO'd battery in a stock location. Just a weight/balance adjustment.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

It's all in how the A&P interprets "(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness;". The Odyssey battery changes the weight and balance but the question is whether or not the change is "appreciable". If it's not, then it's a minor change that can be made with a logbook entry. Otherwise, the A&P/IA might interpret it to be a major change requiring a 337 submitted to the FAA. Too bad the FAA doesn't define "appreciable" in more detail.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

I have an ETX900 battery in my Jodel D140E (built from plans, with Lyc O-360 engine). I’m very happy with the battery (and the airplane).

Would this much lighter battery “appreciably” affect the weight, etc. of my Maule with MTOM of 2,500 lbs? I would say no more so than, for instance, temporarily removing the rear seat and seat belts - or adding/removing wheel fairings.

As I understand the regs, major vs minor is a decision which the FAA largely and deliberately delegates to the mechanic.
MX-7-180 N280SA

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Njacko wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:44 pm
As I understand the regs, major vs minor is a decision which the FAA largely and deliberately delegates to the mechanic.
That is correct, though the FAA would be more than happy to penalize the IA if they disagree with a judgement call that person made on major vs minor.

I once had an FAA guy tell me that the armrest I added to my pilot door was a major modification, since it was attached to the door, and the door is part of the fuselage. I told him that since my POH explicitly says that I can operate the plane with that door removed, I could not see how the armrest could constitute an airworthiness concern.
He left me alone after that.

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Andy Young wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:01 pm
Njacko wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:44 pm
That is correct, though the FAA would be more than happy to penalize the IA if they disagree with a judgement call that person made on major vs minor.

I once had an FAA guy tell me that the armrest I added to my pilot door was a major modification, since it was attached to the door, and the door is part of the fuselage. I told him that since my POH explicitly says that I can operate the plane with that door removed, I could not see how the armrest could constitute an airworthiness concern.
He left me alone after that.
Andy,
Case in point and one of the primary reasons I built/owned Experimental (RV) aircraft for thirty some years. The inconsistencies in the FAA type certification interpretation by different examiners drove me (an A&P) away from the paperwork shuffle and ensuing scrutinization. That said, I still love the Maule Aircraft design, Flight characteristics and family heritage, we both go way back.

So, having said all that and had all the cool mods I've found worked very well on my RVs (Earth-X Lithium or Odyssey Battery, Lightweight Lexus modded Starter, Twin electronic P-Mags, Header Exhaust, Hartzell Composite CS prop, everything sticking out in the breeze faired and less draggy, Less costly glass instrumentation, less paperwork therein) why not just put my M5 in the Experimental category and be done with it?

My guess is most of the products and mods listed above will be standard on new manufactured GA and more importantly Maule Air Inc aircraft in the near future and subsequently approved mods.

Maybe there's room for improvement after all!
😎
V/R
Smokey

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The reason that I didn't consider putting my Maule in the Experimental category is that you can't use it for commercial operations. From 2008-2011 I used my airplane to do 91.147 air tours and occasionally some paid aerial photography. I still maintain a 2nd Class medical and haven't ruled out paid work in the Maule.

14 CFR 91.319 also has some additional restrictions on Experimental aircraft: showing the FAA that the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal operating range and showing them that there are no hazardous features; advising each person carried that the aircraft is experimental; day VFR operations only unless authorized by the Administrator; notifying control towers of the experimental nature of the aircraft.

Too many restrictions for me.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

StepOnTheBall

Post by StepOnTheBall »

Does anyone have a 337 they would be willing to share for installing the SBS J16 in an M-7?

I’m starting the process of putting my M-7 on a diet. Replacing the Concorde battery seems like an easy place to start. Carbon floorboards are being ordered as well.

Thanks!

Brandon

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Carbon floorboards?
Tell me more! How can I get some as well???
Gracias!
😎
Smokey
PS: on the "Maule Keto diet" list for me is a lightweight starter, battery and alternator. Sending the 1980s instruments to the rubbish bin would be nice, $$$ notwithstanding!

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

I am pretty interested in idea of an Odyssey battery for my MX-7-180. I ran the numbers and it looks like if the battery station is the same as the master solenoid (pretty sure they are, 12.5") than it will move the CG forward .01" and drop about 12 pounds off the empty weight. Assuming my W%B form is right that would put me at 1390.5 lbs empty weight which is kind of cool in my book!

The downside is the Surefly SIM (I put one of those on) requires a minimum of 20 AH battery for 12v systems.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

StepOnTheBall

Post by StepOnTheBall »

Smokyray wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:12 pm
Carbon floorboards?
Tell me more! How can I get some as well???
Gracias!
😎
Smokey
Smokey,

Contact Carbon Concepts. Carbonconceptsak.com. Randy was very responsive to my questions.
These are the same ones that Maule is installing as an option in their new planes. They aren’t STC’d but apparently being done as a minor modification. We will see if I can get someone to sign off on that.

$700 for the floorboards. Should save at least 10 lbs from what I read. Kind of a lot of money per pound, but have to start somewhere. :)

Brandon