reduced scale pilot

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

reduced scale pilot

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Hi,

I will jump into a Maule MX7 180 in about 10 days time for my 'in the deep end' initiation (purchase!).

I am 5'6", so hardly a basketball player. Is this going to make my life complicated?

Are the Oregon aero cushions a good move?
Other similar options?
Is there any height adjustment on the Maule seats?

Thanks, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

It all depends on the year of the plane.
There are three seat frames though the one designed for police patrol many years ago is not often seen.
The latest seat allows the most rearward/downward adjustment.
The rest of adjustment is done via a number of different cushion foams.
In the later seats, at 69" I like to add a cushion, especially to those with Oregon Aero cushions as I like to be higher up. Of course now you get no advantage from the 'conforfoam system'.
You may find that a cushion on the backrest will do the job.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The Oregon Aero cushion is worth the money even if you don't need the boost, you won't go wrong with one. I feel pretty sure they can custom tailor the sest height for you if your willing to reupholster your seat. I've got their seat cushions in my seat and it was worth it.

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

downward?!

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Downward movement is definitely not the aim.

The aircraft is a 1995 MX7 180 - does that have an upwards adjustable seat.

Otherwise it sounds as if the Oregon Aero 2" lift (a little like I have on my Land Rover!) is a good plan.

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

some useful info http://www.earaircraft.com/img/uploads/lit/news_3.pdf

I had to build some special contoured seats for my rocket. We purchased the CONFORM foam by Aearo Company, it meets all the faa reg's. This was a very odd ball "seat" up. However, after glueing and making many adjustment (fitting me in the airplane) I was in heaven.
Then I had a shop make up a cover over the final bun holders.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

All the seats that I have seen slide on an inclined plane. Forward and up, back and down. It's one adjustment.
The Oregon Aero cushions are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I put the inserts in when I replaced the interior and now they are the most comfortable aircraft seats I've ever sat in. The factory seat cushions were about the worst, but to be fair they were over 20 years old and I'm sure worn out.
I don't have experience with the portable ones, but I don't think you will go wrong with them. I would suggest the lumbar support as well, there was no support there in my factory seats.
On edit: I believe Oregon Aero seat inserts are a factory option, it's possible the aircraft may have them. They won't help raise you, may even hurt, but the lumbar support would be there in which case you might not want the portable cushion with lumbar support.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Extra info
In the 70's at Ames Research Center at Moffet Field in California NASA first developed this wonderful product "Temper Foam".
I think Oregon Aero ueses this product which can be found by googling the name. The product I referenced is a copy cat.

A64, yes the cover needs to be of a material that will not slip or some kind of attachment needs to be made. VELCRO straps work great. On the other hand any smooth surface cover is like slip and slide. My daughters did this on the way to Alaska, I'm glad see was 12.
BTW: I hope I understood you correctly (seat cushions)

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I have an old M-4 with the stock seat cushions that are coming up on 40YO and while still in good condition, could use some improvement. I'm 5' 7" (On a good day) and find that the height and travel is fine for me and my spouse. We have a little over 600 hours with the majority of that time being XC. We are good for 4-5 hours max before a mandatory stop. Three hour legs are more the norm for us. Even wearing arctic gear like today's flight (-12 at noon today) being bulky and restrictive, is comfortable. I also have the plates that install below the seat to trap the heat in the forward part of the cockpit. Big difference there.
Maybe my kids are right and I am (Have) a hard ass, but we've faired quite well to date in terms of posterior comfort. Now with the advent of the "New" M-4, we have the option of replacing the seat cushions with the Oregon Areo cushions from the factory which will be the path I take.
I guess my point is that the room in the cockpit is sufficient for us but there is always room for improvement. I have had a couple of bigger passengers, the largest was about 6' 2" and high three hundreds. It was one of the more challeging flights me being pushed against the door. With effort, they fit but not by much. One of my fishing partners is 6' 3" (but slim) and I think I will add some way to extend the aft travel of the seat to accomodate him when the interior gets attention.
Enjoy your trip and post some pictures!

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Yellow Maule,
I put the "new" seats and tracks in when my interior was done. I think the new seats have a longer base and pretty sure the tracks do allow the seats to slide farther back like Jeremy said. Be aware with the new seats and Oregon Aero cushions it will cost you around a grand a seat more than just having your existing ones recovered. This summer we went on a trip that in a couple of weeks we flew 65 hours, the seats are worth it because we weren't sore even though we spent 10 hours in the airplane a couple of days.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Most confor foam seat cushions are made up of two or three different density layers, and carved with a sharp knife tosuit you. It is easy to remove the Maule seat cover, buy the foam and carve your own for size, fit and desity. Go to www.seatfoam.com and you will save a bunch of dollars and have perfection. If you buy from Maule it will cost more as they have to buy from Oregon Aero and it is supplied in two thicknesses, but you won't know which to order.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

During Sun-N-Fun Oregon Aero is there and will sell at a reduced price, that's how I got mine. If you look at them they don't look comfortable. The seat base is scooped out and the lower back sticks out. Looks can be decieving. If you get your own foam, I would try to copy the Oregon seat.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I use a combination of the large sportys seat

www.sportys.com/pilotshop

and the Oregon- Aero Portable Universal SoftSeat® Cushions
Like Jeremy I like being higher in the seat for visibility over the nose.
I am 5'10" and experimented with different levels of back and seat increase and comfort. I was unaware of the foam supplier Jeremy recommended until today and will put it on my wish list.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

David T

Rear Seat

Post by David T »

I have a 2000 MT 7 260. When I bought it, the 5th seat was not to be found. I tried getting a new one from Maule and am told they can't match the light gray velour and leather that the 5th seat back and side panel is covered in. Does anyone know where I can find a 5th seat bottom that would match or that I can get recovered?

Thanks

David

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

FWIW, I sent in for a qoute for seat cushions for the little C-140 I have from the website Jeremy posted. I estimate, because I do not have a qoute from Oregon Aero, that Jeremy's site is cheaper by about a factor of 7 or 8. Like around $100 a seat as opposed to $800 a seat :shock: I think I will go that route for the 140 :D

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Once you make your own, you will never buy another premade seat.
It fits soooo well.