Landing with Back Seats full?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Brenton C wrote:Hi Pete,

Thanks for your input here.

Unfortunately, they were the nice new style sealed struts. No upgrade by way of misadventure to be had there.

I have decided that I refuse to be discouraged by this episode. I"m eager to get back up and get practicing, developing my skills, and most of all, enjoying the privilege I've worked so hard for.
Good on you!
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Do you have double puck brakes with the extra sized tires? Some times on pavement you need to get aggressive with differential braking to keep in front of the beast. It has been my experience.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hi Plow'

I dont know if they're double puck or not. :-/

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Snap a pic of the caliper for us, or find a number on it. Old style has the single piston, 30-52 is the double piston.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Well Brenton...how goes it ? Repairs done? Back in the saddle?

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Initially it looked moreminor. Murray's recommended waiting on the insurance call, but with a fuller inspection, theres a bit more to be done. A strut or 2./ I've just put in the loss report, yesterday, and had a cal straight away from the adjuster who, I feel, I'm really getting to know.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Oh boy good luck with the insurance, hope it works out

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Thanks Chris.

In the mean time, any trips south of the border are off-- if you can believe it, my dog seems to have disposed kf my passport.

Sometimes I empathize with the character of Cruella de Ville.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Haha take the dog with you and let them stamp him at the border

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

"Stamp my dog, please."

Hah!

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

OK, I'm gonna throw this out...if your insurance requires some dual instructor time to continue coverage (seen that before...) I will do it at no cost if you're interested. I keep my rating current and I've been on Lloyds of London and British Aviation's books for many years and many types.
Guy.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hey Guy,

Wow. I'm blown away by your kind offer! This is especially appreciated, given the passport issue, cause Until I get a replacement, I wouldn't be able to hop down toCutbank to continue with Rick down there. I was worrying how i might twist his arm into coming up here.

I'll let you know if my insurance sets this requirement.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

At the expense of dragging up this old thread, I thought this is tje best place for an update.

My plane's now been (at long last) repaired--had it a few weeks already, but got back in the air yesterday with a day of flying under the guidance of "our friend" (as they say in mafia movies) Rick "Montana by Air" Geiger.

My thanks again to those who posted up, as well as back channeled me with helpful tips, related personal experiences and other forms of support.

xcflyn

Post by xcflyn »

I know super old thread here, but where are you at today in your flying ?

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

I'm so glad you asked!

The plane was in the shop many months, and when it was done, well, I was scared to fly it. As mentioned in my last post, I prevailed on Rick of Montana by Air fame to drive up and give me a lesson in my own plane. Partly, in case there is something about my plane that is different from his, partly because I couldn't drive down to him after my dog ate my passport!

I was so glad Rick could come up, because he found two problems with the tailwheel. 1. The spring was a bit saggy, and in his experience, that can account for the violent shimmy that would happen if you didn't land the plane just right.

2. more importantly, he found the tail wheel bearings were locking up, preventing it from castering. I believe, in retrospect, this was the cause of both ground loops. The landings were fine (wheel landings) till the tail wheel touched the ground, steering me off the runway.

When it came time for my insurance to be renewed, the agent said the underwriter didn't want to cover me. They'd shop me around, but the rates were sure to be going up.

Well, I wrote back to give them the update about all my due diligence in taking tail wheel training -- 55 hours with the first guy, then after my 1st ground loop, going to Rick for 2 days because of his expertise in the type, then, following the second ground loop, spending another day with him for more training.

What's more, I told them that Rick found a problem with the plane, had inspected my tail wheel, found two issues that I now believed explained my accidents--issues that were subsequently confirmed and repaired by my local mechanic. Yeah there were broken bits of metal in the bearings. (perhaps from one of my tail first landings? Or from the shimmying?)

Upshot was (to my surprise) my rates didn't go up at all!

In the last year I've only done about 6 hours in the air, due to the impact of the economy on the old pocket book. But things have been improving for me steadily since October, so I'm hoping to be in the air a lot this year. Hopefully I'll have the chance to meet some of you guys.

Oh, yeah, I better get a replacement passport.