New owner , RPM to MP power settings , EGT , CHT ideal temp

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Pete Willoughby

New owner , RPM to MP power settings , EGT , CHT ideal temp

Post by Pete Willoughby »

I'm new to your site and the Maule M-5 180 hp . Could someone give me some advice on RPM to MP settings for different power settings ? What are ideal EGT temp CHT temps ? Any good sources for Maule shirts hats ... ? My strobes are out I haven't figured out the problem yet but any advice on good source for used parts ?
Thanks Pete

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Open the inspection panel under wingtip...the stobe wires connect to the aircraft wires at that point and often vibrate loose.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

You may have lost a power supply, one triggers the other so if one went then they may both not work. I don't think they are manufactured anymore. I have a set that I might could be talked into selling though if it's not just a loose wire.
Hats, shirts etc. from Maule. David Wright for used parts. Egt, 50 to 100 ROP at cruise power, 75% or less. Cyl head temp. on almost all aircraft seems to fall into the mid 300's in cruise, standard day, can't say for sure on yours, but I bet mid 300's. Too rich hurt's nothing, too lean get's real expensive, real quick.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Pete, if you did'nt get a Lyc. operating manual with the plane, you can get one from Lycoming about $25 and worth it. It is red or red/white and 5"x6"
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

N9657

Post by N9657 »

Been flying my M5 180 for about 2 years. I have found that 23 squared gives a low vibration 9-10 gallon per hour ride.

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

On the wingtip strobes, you might also check at the wing root where the power comes up to a junction plug that also powers your stall warning. If that's working it's obviously further out.
1995 M-7-235B

Ian

Strobes

Post by Ian »

Hi

I have a 1985 MX7-235 which had inoperative Grimes strobes when I bought the plane. I replaced with a set of new Aeroflash tip strobes which utilised old nav lights. I think they were in the 300.00 range. They work very well and are a lot less than Whelen. I am now wanting to install a combination tail/position strobe from Whelen then that will be it for strobes. The Aeroflash units are in all the catalogues Wagaero, Aircraft Spruce , Wicks... It was an easy install I did it when I overhauled the tips and glassed the old holes over sanded and painted etc. Came out well.

Good Luck

Ian
Best Regards

Ian