i need this explained

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
chris erasmus
100+ Posts

i need this explained

Post by chris erasmus »

there is a sticker in my M7 that says maximum x wind component 14mph.
I have recently landed in 16Kts gusting 20kts at 90 degrees across the runway, and still the plane handled it, little kick straight before touchdown drop the flaps and she stayed stuck, I also tried the wing low cross control rudder thing but that is too complicated, I just crab her in and land.
another technique I cant master is the high steep approach, I find it a lot easier to sink low, and drag the plane in with power, I seem to have a lot more rudder authority like that,
any advice on the matter

TomD
100+ Posts

xwind component

Post by TomD »

Something in my memory says this is a mathematical thing. Something like 20% Vso for winds at 90 degrees.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

The 'Demonstrated Crosswind Component' placard is not very relevent. It is NOT a limitation, only the maximum crosswind the plane was landed in by the test pilot during certification.

I'm no professional pilot by any means, and granted I have a Trigear, but 20 knot crosswinds (not rare here in the desert) are not a problem.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Thanks MD, as I said in a previous thread, I don't know about all of this, I don't understand it, I just fly the damn plane

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Steep approach for me is full flaps, nose high, airspeed low (50-55 MPH for me, other guys here feel comfortable much slower) and watch the VSI needle drop.

This gives a steep angle of approach and good safety margin. It takes a lot of power to arrest descent for roundout/flare or a solid thump will ensue.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

cross wind

Post by TomD »

I now have some coffee on board:

I think the 20% Vso crosswind component is a minimum set by the FAA. If the mfg. can demonstrate the this ability is is probably the path of least resistance for certification. If you try for, say 30% Vso, the paperwork would start to equal the weight of the aircraft.

Just my best guess.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

It is for that very reason that I don't do the steep descents , and in South Africa we have open space, very little trees etc to get over to land, I really really tried the steep stable decent, just can't get it right, always a hard landing and a bounce and having to negotiate turbulence and x wind on the way down. I just drag her in with power, full flaps and 50 mh, if the x wind is a bit hectic I stick with 2 notches flap and 55 mph and crabbing, seems to work for me (so far)

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

I think this could be called the "ground effect" approach, wheels high enough to avoid a gazell puncture, and steering to avoid decapitating giraffes!

;-)

Rick Geiger has a couple of you tube videos on his website, and I practiced this with him when I was down for some lessons in September.

As to cross winds, he recommended jus not doing them if the wind is more than 30 deg off the nose. I understand from your other thread that you dont have theoption many times at your home base.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

haha Brenton, you got it spot on, duck and dive between the giraffes, plant it and hope for the best. I like the ground effect term, it makes it sound legitimate.
as for x wind. i landed on the taxi way last week and it caused a shit storm, fortunately we are out of the heavy wind season so all is OK. August September are bad months for x winds here

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hey Chris,

Given what you've to,d us about how rigid and power trippy your "controllers" are, they must have been in quite the tizzy to see you land on the taxi way.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Chris;

I figure those guys most important job is to keep you and the other folks in the area separated, but when it comes to getting your plane and people on board on the ground safely; that is your job.

The book they are working from and the comfortable chairs they are sitting in are not going to get bent if they give you the "blessed" instructions. If you need to do something different to get on the ground safely...F*&k 'em do what you have to do.

TD

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Did exactly that and fukem stopped in 200 feet, I really don't know what the fuss was about

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

I'm guessing your 200' roll out attests to the strength of what would have been your cross wind, had you landed on the runway.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

20kts on the nose gps ground speed 34mph

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Wow!

To land on the runway, with 20kt crosswind . . . Well beyond my ability or even curiosity limits!