New engine

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
chris erasmus
100+ Posts

New engine

Post by chris erasmus »

After endless hassles and problems with the 0540 b4 b5 engine, I decided to bite the bullet and just overhaul the damn thing and get it over and done with.
Flew the new engine and what a difference. No more over heating, no more roughness, oil, get,cht all in the green. Did not need to step climb the plane, took off and climbed straight out to 10 000 ft with all temps staying in the green.
Any tips on how to break in the engine, what should I look out for.

Maybe some engines just come out the factory bad.??? Problems with current engine started soon after I bought the plane 1999 m7 235 B overhauled the engine at 720 hrs
Chris South Africa

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Make sure you change the oil at 10 hours and inspect the oil filter for metal. At 25 hours do a 50 hour equivalent inspection. Those are the recommendations of the engine manual I have.
Loogie

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Thanks Loogie, I appreciate the info

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Lycoming calls for straight mineral oil and power settings of 75% or more for first 50 hours or until oil consumption stabilizes. You are fortunate it's running cool brand new. New engines tend to be tighter and run hotter.

JMHO, but I'd aim for CHT's at or below 375-380 and oil temps below 200 degrees if you can. Also be careful to let oil temp be about about 100 before you apply takeoff power.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Thanks mountain doctor, I appreciate the info, will certainly apply your advice. I really want to get it right with this engine, especially with all the problems I had with the previous one
Regards
Chris
South Africa

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

Break-in

Post by Flybrian1950 »

I am approaching 50 hours on my overhaul, and can't say enough about the Phillips 20-50 Oil. It was recommended by ECI who provided my cylinder assemblies, and my engine builder, Harold Hayes at Independence State. Harold is nearly 80, taught the A&P program at PCC in Portland, OR for a number of years, and was head of the maintenance department at Hillsboro for the Cessna Dealer, before starting his own shop.

His other advice is fly it like you stole it! He feels too many folks try and baby their new engines. Yes, watch the temps, try not to over heat, or just as important don't over cool.

I opted for egt and cht probes on all four cylinders and the oil, and it has been re-assuring, given the inaccurate nature of the Maule factory gauges. I opted for Electronics International gear, that I found used at reasonable prices, due to folks moving up from engine monitors to MFD's. It was an easy installation process at annual.

I couldn't have spent any less for the peace of mind that my engine overhaul investment was well protected.

By the way, I sent the EI instruments to the Factory in Bend, OR and they gave them a clean bill of health, for a minor fee. I have since installed an electronic tach, due to the same inaccuracy issues, and the EI folks were kind enough to reset the prop RPM warning lights to avoid 2000-2250 operations.
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

hello Flybrian, thanks for the advice, I picked up the plane over the weekend, and I do fly her like i stole it, temps get high quickly and i have to throttle back and fly her rich to stay cool.
cheers
chris

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

overhauled O-360

Post by gregorydshanks »

My engine was overhauled 2 years ago. It currently has 215 hours on it. I bought the plane with 45 hours on the engine and no one told me about the "fly it like you stole it" theory of engine break-in. I think the first 45 hours were properly done since Maule Flight put the first 45 hours on it.
Since the day I took possession of my MXT-7-180, the engine has been using .5 qt/hr. I have changed the oil and filter every 25 hours. Around 150 hours, I began flying it hard, but before that, I would fly it at 2200/19 in. Now I fly it at 2400-2500 rpm and 22-24 mp.
It still uses .5 qt/hr. Is this going to ever end?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Don't try to keep it perfectly full . Mine likes to be at about 6qt. if Filled to 8qt.
It will promptly go down to 6 and stay there for 5 to 6 hr. I used a lot of oil before I figured this out
The best Government, is less Government.