M5 cruise speeds

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Maule-igan

M5 cruise speeds

Post by Maule-igan »

I know this has been discussed before but I was at the Air Show in Arlington Washington today and ran into another Maule pilot. He has an M-5 235 with 31 in tires. He had flown in from south east Washington state. I asked what his cruise speed was and he said 120 knots or so is average. I am astonished! I see the magazines and read the specs but just figured that these numbers were at optimum conditions at altitude. I have my M-5 210c with a stock Mculley constant speed prop. I fly around at 105 to 115 MPH!! I figured this was due to my big 8.50s :) . I usually don't fly above 23 squared and will pull back to 22 sometimes. How could my plane be so much slower. Should I be at a higher power setting? I have flown around 24 square give or take. and there is not too much different. certainly not 120 knots. I might hit 100 knots. What am I missing. I do have a little heavy right wing. maybe rigging? maybe the prop? Anybody have an idea?
Thanks
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

That does sound slow, are you talking indicated or true?

Loads of results in search. Here are just a few samples:

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... uise+speed

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... d&start=15

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... uise+speed

Kirk

taildragger
100+ Posts

need for speed

Post by taildragger »

Hi,

I have a 1975 M5/210C with stock contstant speed prop and 8.5 tires. I usually cruise 24 squared rop and am full IFR with all the antenna's. I fly around 2000-3000 msl. I figure on a solid 115 knots groundspeed year round. Sometimes a smidge faster, sometimes a tad slower.

Scott

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

WOW. That is indicated but verified with ground speed on the GPS. It is typical for me year round. When I run 24 square I am at 115 MPH. I will review the links
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

24sq I am around 120 kts true I generally stooge around at 20 2300 115 or so tas

Henry L. Heaberlin
100+ Posts

M5-235 Speeds

Post by Henry L. Heaberlin »

Maule igan: Are you looking at indicated airspeed or a GS reading from a GPS? You might have an inaccuracy in the airspeed indicator partially to blame. My M5-235 (with 7:00-6 "toy" tires) with easily cruise in the 115 to 120 knot range and I verify it on the GPS. I have to throttle back some in turbulence to stay out of the yellow arc on the air speed indicator. The tire size MAY make that big of a difference but it's doubtful... I would check airspeed calibration and look at rigging maybe.... Good luck..

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

For the most accurate speed tests you need to be doing a true airspeed calculation.
Remember from the ppl days with that e6b? Some GPS have that feature too.
Plug in altitude, ALT setting, temp and indicated speed. Read true airspeed and use those values to compare at different altitudes.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

I am going to check my airspeed indicator for sure but it is pretty consistent with GPS. I think that my rigging needs to be reviewed as well.
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

I can confirm my M5-210c cruises at 120 knots @ 24 squared
Just completing my cross country part of my ppl licence and the time elapsed ground speed and air speed calculate perfectly
Fantastic little aeroplane can't believe my luck in selecting a Maule for my first aircraft. Crikey nearly bought a Cessna lol
Flash

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

What altitude?

Comgratulations on starting off with a Maule.

I had to remind myself throughout my de-inspirationalizing Cessna training that I knew flying was fun. Just not in a 172.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

flashgordon wrote:.......................
Fantastic little aeroplane can't believe my luck in selecting a Maule for my first aircraft. Crikey nearly bought a Cessna lol
:shock: :shock: :shock: Good choice. Hope the PPL training goes well.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I get just a hair under 120 MPH up to about 3500 ft indicated and the same ground speed on the gps and I have big tires which slowed me down about 10 MPH when I put them on....so I guess I'm about the same as everyone with the IO 360...that's at 23 squared... and we fly Maules guys.. so what's with the Knots.... :lol:
Iceman