Roll Rate

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

C'mom what's not understood?
Bob Hoover in an interview commmented that he had rolled his Shrike when it was full of Air Force brass and no one in the passenger compartment even noticed that the aircraft had been rolled.
Although the the best "Roll" story was when the Boeing test pilot rolled the new 707 when he was supposed to just do a "fly by"
So if the manouver is performed correctly, it's done at 1G and puts no stress on the airplane.
I've been waiting on the safety Nazi's to comment.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Shame on you for even thinking about things like that! Here's a link to Tex Johnston's famous roll...
http://www.historylink.org/essays/outpu ... ile_id=390
1976 M5-235-C

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

It was my understanding that the Air Force brass "did not spill any coffee during the manuver"
I did call my Navy buddy after your last post and he confirmed that IT IS VERY POSSIBLE". I just need more..................practice...lol

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is a video of Bob Hoover pouring a cup of tea from teapot to cup without a break in the stream of fluid or a spill while doing a roll in his Shrike Commander. Anyone know how to find it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Jeremy, here's a link. Cheers....Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVWHUR5OEI

maulekid

roll!!!

Post by maulekid »

15 gallons each side nothing in aux tanks, negative flaps enter @ 130mph into the wind 40 degree nose up full left aieleron and stab left rudder, dont hold it in. and bring her about!! BUT THIS IS NOT RECOMENDED< but it does work well

maulekid

DA Maule Roll

Post by maulekid »

:shock: Hay Chris, I wonder what our insurance agent would say about this maneuver? We really missed you in Thomasville.

Noel

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

What maneuver??? I am not sure I know what maneuver you are talking about :wink: but if I did...I know the fellow pretty well and he would probably do the same thing in my shoes...unofficially of course. :D

I would have loved to have made it down for the fly-in...too many strikes and your out you know. There is always next year.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Lowflybye
We are waiting......................................................
Avemco insured my daughter on the little cessna. She flew uder the hood yesterday for the first time and she loved it. She hates slips and her daddy jerking the throttle off all of the time. Bad Daddy.
I think these youg ones that grew up with computers and all the gadgetry are going to kick our bottoms at instrument flying.
I blind fold her and she has to point out the instruments, controls and switches. She will solo on her 16th birthday, December 8th. Can't be to carefull.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

210TC wrote:Lowflybye
We are waiting......................................................

Me too :?

The second new prop arrived yesterday and is being put on today so I should be back in the air (in the Maule) tomorrow. I have been flying other aircraft while she has been down, but it will be nice to be back in my own saddle again.

I am not going to do anything unusual until I get a few hours on that fresh engine...so I may have a report for you on Monday :lol:

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

On the new engine, I'm sure you know, but run it hard, but run it rich and don't hang it on the prop. Best time to break one in too, not too hot or too cold. I will only run one for two hours before I dump the oil. I'm convinced that most of the metal is "made" in a short time and I don't want it running around the engine and besides, I want a look at the inside of that oil filter to see what's going on.
What cylinders did you go with and how was the crank?

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

It is not a new engine...just a teardown, inspection and rebuild. It has all new seals, rings, etc. but everything else is the same. No problems were found with the crank or any other components...all pertinent parts were ZY-Glo inspected as well.

I figure I will fly her for about an hour and then pull the cowl and check everything out before putting any additional hours on it. Just want to make sure nothing is loose after the annual and remounting of the engine...especially with the ball of wax this thing has become to get her back in the air.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I agree with a64 on the oil change. Engines make metal with fresh hone and rings amoung other things and a quick oil change is GOOOOOOD.
And most all agree 75% power at 4 to 6000 the first 20 hours. I think that is a bit to long unless you have chrome.
If the rings don't seat in the first few hours something was done wrong.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

***cue hallelujah chorus*** :o

I am headed to the airport to pick her up and I could not have asked for a better day to do it. 8)

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

About 144 degrees per second I would say.

That is an exact roll rate based on the southern boy stopwatch & Mississippi math...2 1/2 Mississippi = 2.5 seconds divided by 360 = 144 degrees. :lol:

She don't roll like a Yak, but she is not the pig that a Stearman is either. Pretty clean roll actually.

Back in the saddle again.

p.s.- don't tell my insurance guy about the roll. :wink:
Last edited by Lowflybye on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.