Valdez STOL technique

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Valdez STOL technique

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Yesterday I watched a DVD of the Maules at Valdez in May 2010.

There were maybe a dozen Maules on the DVD, and I observed that none of them popped the flaps to jump into ground effect as we have been discussing.

It appears they all start the roll with flaps 24, and leave them there. Typically they raise the tail and rotate shortly afterwards and climb out.

Similarly, on landing I saw none dump the flaps on touchdown. They all landed and rolled out with what looked like flaps 48.

The average takeoff and landing rolls amounted to less than 200 feet, with some takeoffs less than 100 feet, and some landings less than 150 feet.

I'm interested in your thoughts on these observations.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I just watched a clip on YT and I think I saw YELLOWMAULE with his unique paint scheme. (all yellow with a neon colored stripe)

http://youtu.be/m3cFZh8wugk

If you dump the flaps on a Taildragger upon landing it will slam the tail down, but it may have given them a little more braking power.

I bet if a Maule Tri-Gear had entered the contest it would have put the rest to shame!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MXT-7-180A Comet

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Hmm, hard to be sneaky.
The flaps are always used to pop it. So is the aileron if there is any breeze at all. Sounds trivial but it helps.
That year, I had 8.50's on. It hurt the AOA/take off but helped the braking. And given the opportunity, I'll dump the flaps. It's a little harder done than said though. I'd rather keep my hand on the throttle as I'm busy balancing the plane on the brakes. If I have to I can blow the tail.
I wish we had 10 Maules there, we'd have our own class and not have to mess around with that every year. So come on guys (And Ladies) step up and join us!
Oh Mau Mau, that's not neon green by the way. It's WFG.
Live it like its your last day.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I very much enjoyed seeing your plane, Yellowmaule. It felt good to know you.

I believe Jeremy once said that all else being equal the trigear will out-STOL a taildragger. I believe this to be due to a more neutral AOA.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Mountain Doctor wrote:I very much enjoyed seeing your plane, Yellowmaule. It felt good to know you.

I believe Jeremy once said that all else being equal the trigear will out-STOL a taildragger. I believe this to be due to a more neutral AOA.
Actually due to the ability to gain more angle of attack on toke off roll