Dropping Parachutist?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
woodzi

Dropping Parachutist?

Post by woodzi »

Just found out my neighbor bought himself a new parachute and is on his way to California to get re-certified.

Anyone drop parachutists out of their Maule? If yes, do you use the front or the back door?

Any special considerations we should know about?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Interesting.

I bet the way to to it would be to remove both right side doors and the rear seat.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Parachutists

Post by TomD »

Any special considerations we should know about?
Don't leave a perfectly good aircraft. 8)

In the dark recesses of my memory I seem to remember there are some pilot requirements for dropping parachutists.

But as far as the ac, I agree w/ Bill that the rear door might make more sense.

If you remove the right front door and front right seat the diver(s) could stand on the step and grab the strut before dropping.

I would have a little concern about clearing the horizontal stab when leaving from the rear door, but I am not a sky diver nor drop pilot so this is complete conjecture

woodzi

Re: Parachutists

Post by woodzi »

Yeah, I jumped once, but when asked why I would jump from a perfectly good aircraft, I can say that I didn't.

No reason to jump from the Maule though, but if the neighbour wants to try and I remain safe and in good standing with the law, I OK with it.

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

I would think the back doors off. its hard enough to get in and out of the front without a backpack. In a nose wheel hold the brake till they step on the main wheel then let go!

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I was talking to a co worker a few weeks ago and he said he did para jumping in the military. He was wanting me to drop him up north on the nowitna by parachute and kick out some gear and a zodiak or some inflatable. Got to thinking, is that considered a guiding service if you drop people? Im thinking new unregulated business opportunity for remote hunt access of a lifetime!