carb ice

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
ryan

carb ice

Post by ryan »

Guys,
I have a m5 235c i get carb ice like crazy. my oil temp gauge reads very low even in cruise, do you think that has something to do with it? i cant seem to get it into the green, although it sounds like the gauges are not very accurate. If you dont catch it right when it starts it takes along time to clean it self up, is this normal for this engine? this is my first maul.
thanks,
Ryan

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I don't think the cold oil temp is causing the carb icing. Here are a few things I do to get the oil temperature up in the winter time. http://www.montanabyair.com/Maule_Info.htm
I have the O540-B4B5 engine and experience carb icing symptoms quite often. My carb air temp. will be showing +40F and I will get engine roughness and loss of power. Add carb heat and things come back to normal. I have come to think I am getting impact ice biuld up in the airbox and not true carb icing in the venturi because of the 40F reading.

Rick

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

MXT-7-180A Comet

TomD
100+ Posts

carb ice

Post by TomD »

My M5-235C gets carb ice really easily. Don't know if this is just something that O-540J1A5D engines do.

Keep a sharp watch on your Manifold pressure.

Cruising at about 20" 2100 I have to really watch it when the temp is below 40F (32F-34F seems to be the nasty point) and the humidity is high.

Not sure what you can do about it.

TD

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

Move to Texas Panhandle. With single digit humidity we don't see much carb ice.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i also get carb ice often in the -J1A5D engine. any time there is visible moisture be very aware .
make sure your carb heat box has been updated in accordance with maule service letter 56
http://mauleairinc.com/pdf/servicelette ... ter_56.pdf
this will not prevent the ice, but it will help clear it out.
also, flying in rainy weather in the fall, i will sometimes apply partial carb heat and leave it on. just lean accordingly.
M5-235