Class B/C operations

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Paul B

Class B/C operations

Post by Paul B »

I am still new to the Maule. All of my 60 hrs in it so far have been at small pilot controlled airports where I fly tight patterns and usually final is @ 60mph indicated or less. I want to start going to some larger airports and I am wondering if I need to keep higher speeds and shallower approach angles to fit in. What speeds and flaps do more experienced Maule drivers use at the big airports?

YOidaho

Post by YOidaho »

Just fly the same speeds you've been using. Follow the instructions issued by ATC. As for 'fitting in,' if you don't fit into the existing traffic load, you will be made unwelcome. I can't imagine too many class C airports being trouble. They do have their peak density periods. Class B, different story. Primarily high speed and a very high percentage of IFR traffic. Traffic flow into class B is controlled into this airspace with real time monitoring in D.C.

good luck.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I have transitioned Class B many times but have never landed at a Class B airport. Unless my motor was getting ready to quit or there was some other urgent/emergent situation I don't picture me landing at SFO or SEA any time soon...

Flying in their space is easy enough just be positive you hear ATC say the magic words, "Clear to enter Class Bravo". Two way communication alone, unlike Class C, is not sufficient.

Class C landings are typically straightforward, if not even easier than uncontrolled airports in as much as your operations, and the operations of others inside their airspace, is controlled, helping out your decision making process.

Also remember your magic words to ATC if you need them (it, really):

"Unable".
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Another thing to bear in mind is you may also have to communicate with Ground, and sometimes Clearance Delivery.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Another thing to bear in mind is you may also have to communicate with Ground, and sometimes Clearance Delivery.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Class B

Post by TomD »

Ringing up the tower of the Class B airport when planning your flight will really smooth things for you.

I have flown into SeaTac (KSEA) on several occasions and have called ahead of time and asked when would be a good arrival time. There are peak times that you really don't want to be involved in.

Give approach a call a long way out and they will sequence you.

When landing to the South at KSEA I was usually given instructions to turn base at the numbers since the FBO is at the far end of the field and there are miles of runway down there and lots of jet blast on the taxiways.

Remember WINGTIP VORTEX!!! It can get real ugly real fast landing behind a heavy.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Tom, you landed SeaTac? That would be fun!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

That would be fun!
More of an "experience".

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Did you just do a T&G? I can't imagine where you would taxi to to get out of the plane...

Also was this before all the homeland security nonsense?

I've landed and used maybe a dozen Class C airports but never a Class B.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Was before 9/11 stuff.

We just landed REALLY long and did a short taxi to the FBO.

Not sure what hoops you would have to jump through now but the FBO at PDX for example is pretty isolated from the main terminal and there is not issue w/ the TSA brown shirts.

TD

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Hello Paul -

When flying at some of the more congested airports, you may find that the tower will request that you keep your speed up.

While this may be fine, just make sure that it is within your comfort level, and that you are still touching down at the same speed. As you probably know by now, touching down too fast in your Maule can result in bouncing or porpoising or worse.

My home base in New Hampshire has KC-135 tankers and other large transport aircraft, and when I was first based here they would often ask for unreasonable speeds which would have resulted in very high (read unsafe) touchdown speeds.

I simply replied unable or offered to orbit nearby until the heavy metal was on the ground. It may help to have a qualified friend go with you on your first adventure into controlled airspace and before you know it you will be an old pro.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes...................Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

I hire Southwest to fly me in Class B airspace.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

PDX is easy to work with for GA. Nice place to access, although I have not been there for a couple of years.

Class C, however. I agree with Southwest for Class B. :lol:

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Paul,
Never forget that all ATC people work for you the pilot. Never give them control of your life and mentally question all their instructions, it is a violation not to comply with an instruction or clearance once accepted and read back by the pilot but as previously stated "unable at this time" will get their attention. Most are very helpful however they don't like to mix lights with heavies but that's no reason to bypass an airport if you need fuel.
Occasionally ATC will fly a big one into the mountains as accident reports will reveal.
As for taxiing at an unfamiliar Class B you can request "progressive taxiing" and they will lead you by the hand to the FBO.
My personal experience anyway.

YOidaho

Post by YOidaho »

Beamer, How "occasional?"