MX-7-180 on amphibs

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
andy
Site Admin

MX-7-180 on amphibs

Post by andy »

I'm considering putting Wipline 2350 amphibs on my 1986 MX-7-180 and I'm trying to get some realistic performance information from anyone who has flown something similar. I know all the arguments about the shorter wing and 180hp vs. 235hp engine. I've done a detailed weight and balance calculation and don't mind flying as a two seater with 40 gal vs. 70 gal of fuel. A big unknown is the prop. I have the Maule standard Hartzell 76" constant speed prop. Of course, performance would improve with a larger prop, but is the improvement enough to justify the cost? I would also like to have the option of removing the amphibs and reinstalling the conventional gear for specific trips that require more fuel and baggage. A larger prop might require larger tires than my 8.00 x 6.00 mains for ground clearance. Cost is the main factor driving me to investigate this possibility. The least expensive way for me to get into amphibs is this route, but performance in summer heat and humidity may be so poor at my home airport's 1200 msl elevation as to make this configuration unfeasible. Can anyone give me actual performance information and prop recommendations?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Check the factory as they have done the test flights with the MX7-180 and with the M4-180V
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide