Stall decent

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
sbmaule

Stall decent

Post by sbmaule »

Recently picked up an M7 235 ('05) to replace older (1988) plane of the same model.
Only difference: last plane was a "long wing" and firewall AGM battery conversion, otherwise identical, VG's, wheels, prop, etc..

when performing a stall decent: power to idle, full flaps, yoke all the way back, some pedal work, my old plane would settle into a predictable wings level decent at about 750 fpm.

New plane, same configuration, will always break left and try to spin before it can settle in.

Trying to get w/b and cg, from old plane to compare, otherwise what gives?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Ailerons not centered or out of trim?

Fuel levels equal side to side?
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Airplanes and girls are like shotguns, they all have a similar purpose but no one model will do everything...that said, all airplanes behave differently, even if they are the same model, especially GA machines. Who knows there could be a .25 degree difference in the incidence angle etc. Unless all conditions are the same it will be pretty hard to narrow down the reason...It met certification but obviously doesnt behave the same, hopefully you can find out why.
Loogie

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

A careful and methodical check of rigging would be in order. Best done by someone that knows Maules. But could be done by someone that will take the time to do it right.

Just my 2 pesos worth.

Kirk

sbmaule

Post by sbmaule »

Thanks for the response guys,

You would think a minor rigging issue could be compensated for using ailerons/rudder, Certainly need to look into rigging though.

With yoke full back, and diligent footwork, the nose points for the sky and doesn't dip at stall, Instead plane rolls left (p factor?). Feels like a CG issue ?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Power off stalls P factor should not be an issue.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843