Spring type landing gear.

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Spring type landing gear.

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Does it have any 'spring' in it?

I have noticed that there is no movement of the gear visible when the plane settles onto its gear on landing, or unloading at takeoff.

A Cessna's sping gear moves, and smooths out the landing. You can see it move taxiing over bumps.

Oleo's on the Beechcraft, Mooney, Cirrus, and Pipers I have flown all smooth landings a lot. Unless the Maule is landed as soft as a marshmallow dropped on a feather pillow, the landings in the Maule can be felt.

Not a critisism at all, just an observation.

Is it that the Maule's spring gear is that much stronger? Built for rougher stuff?

Like the suspension of a racing motocross bike vs. an enduro? Much stiffer in the mild stuff so it can absorb the really big hits?
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

When I was leaning to fly my MX7-180C, I smote the earth mightily several times. My loving wife filmed those "carrier" landings and I can assure you that the spring gear does move. I can also assure you that it is sturdy and can handle quite a bit of abuse. I have a much better feel for the plane now (thank heaven) and am back to landings that don't perturb the gear at all, but I'm glad it can take a beating when needed. I think we should all aspire to flying (and landing) our planes as smoothly as possible, but it is good to know that they are capable of accommodating our foibles. I can only assume this was part of the original design philosophy.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

There is a story at our airline of a notable captain getting into a landing contest with his lowly first officer after one of the f/o's better landings a little old lady remarked about his good touchdown. The captain standing in cockpit door saying good bye responded by informing the pax that all landings not preformed by the captain where done under his direct supervision. So that was my excuse for years
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money