Flap settings for Xwind landings?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Loogie
100+ Posts

Flap settings for Xwind landings?

Post by Loogie »

HI I am a new owner of Maule 773MC MX-7-180, lifelong dream to own this a/c. I would like to hear some thoughts on flap settings for xwind landings, have heard a few techniques, just wondering what are some rules of thumb that folks use for crosswinds.
What do experienced Maule drivers consider max operating xwind limit?

Loogie
Loogie

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Do you have a Maule Flight Manual?

If not, go to www.mauleairinc.com and at the bottom of the page you find links to both the Flight Manual and the Maintenance Manual.

These can be downloaded in a PDF so you will always have them.

It will mention the techniques recommended which are usually zero flaps for stiff crosswinds in both Takeoff and Landing.

This is what I do when the crosswind is quite stiff, and on landing, I immediately dump the flaps to -7* which glues the aircraft to the ground.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Book crosswind component is only 15 MPH. :?

The actual safe value is operator dependant more so than on the airframe. Also the width and surface and factor in, as does headwind component and gusts etc.

I am no professional bush pilot by any means, jusy a 1,500 hour VFR pilot. My Trigear and I are comfortable with a 20 knot crosswind, but that's just me, in my plane.

More advanced pilots can probably land on an iceberg in crosswinds approaching Vso, but not me. :wink:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

BTW I usually land flaps 24*. If the crosswind is greater than 20 knots, I'm looking for a different runway or maybe a taxiway. Technically, flaps 0* would be indicsated in this setting.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843