Getting started, by the numbers

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Brenton C
100+ Posts

Getting started, by the numbers

Post by Brenton C »

Good morning gents, and gentle-ladies,

While I'm not BRAND new to the board, I'm very pleased to share that last Friday I acquired, finally, my first aircraft. A 1974 Maule M5-210C. NOW I can say I'm a FULL member, perhaps.

Today I'm beginning the 10 hours of instruction required by my insurance company.

I have a few questions I can't glean from the manual:

1. Approach speed for landings?

2. Booster pump use? On start up only? take off? climb out?
When switching tanks? Landing?

Anything else I need to know? The instructor Im going up with obviously has tail dragger time, but I don't know what he knows about Maules.

Between you guys and me, if I hadn't let my passport lapse, I'd be making a call to Montana about this tail dragger training . . . it's just a little way South from here.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Congratulations Brenton!
There are a number of things that perhaps not you but your instructor may want to be aware of in helping you with your training. I say not you as I get the impression that this is your first aircraft. I had an exceptionally experienced instructor who had a devil of a time trying to get the Maule to wheel land. Contrary to popular non-Maule drivers, they can do it well. Practice.
The IO-360 has some things you need to be aware of too. Never close the throttle on short final. This engine has a little burble or off-idle stumble that will provide many gray hairs until you learn to keep a couple of inches of MP on short final. It also has no tolerance for poor baffling. They need air. Make sure the baffling is in good shape and your cowl is tight. I'm not sure how north you are and this may be a moot point but the famous injected Continental hot start may give you fits until you figure out the "right" combo for your engine. They also seem to universally run a little rich at idle while taxiing, lean it on the ground.
Now don't get me wrong, I am a huge advocate of this engine. I have almost 2000 hours behind them and for the Peril, would consider nothing else. They are smooth, powerful and pretty efficient. As far as the airframe is concerned, make sure that you have the gaps seals. Spend a lot of time in slow flight and stalls. They are pretty much a non-event but get use to how the plane handles on the back side of the curve. At altitude, of course. Landing speeds will change as you become accustomed to your machine and strips. Don't worry a lot about that now. As you spend time in it, there will be a lot of changes in how you fly it. Talk to your instructor about his Maule-specific experience. If you try to fly that wing like a Cessna product or a Piper product, he and you will be very disappointed in the performance of the plane. Fly it like a Maule and boy, will you be thrilled. Jeremy is often quoted as saying that the Maule does not give up it's secrets easily but if you listen to it and spend A LOT of time in it, you will be hard pressed to find a more capable airplane with such a broad operating envelope. They are also tough as nails.
Learn your plane in it's current configuration. Don't worry about "mods" just now. Those that you will want to do in the future will be specific to your flying environment, your skill level and what you actually use your plane for.
The most critical mod you can put in your plane right now is time. Burn a lot of gas and get to know your plane. Practice, practice, practice and you will have a very rewarding experience.
Tailwinds!
Kurt
Live it like its your last day.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Kurt,

Thanks so much for your informative and encouraging reply.

You're right that this is my first plane, and I'm thrilled with it. It took a while to complete the deal, after my "test flight" with the previous owner, over the labour day weekend. Boy was I impressed. The plane's been restored, in recent years, and overhauled, about 180 hours ago and looks almost new, yet it's a 1974! Beautiful, but with one exception, to some: it sports an Edmonton Eskimo colour scheme! Or so I'm told. I guess that's football?!

I definitely favour it's colours over a red and white "Calgary Stampeder" look, to be sure. ;-)

Yesterday the instructor managed the take off, and a three-point landing. I can't recall the approach speed, now. I think it was 55. Don't recall the flap setting either. We did some slow flight and stalls, during which I felt more comfortable than doing the same in a 172. I can't say why. Maybe it's the feeling of control. Didn't have anything like the same mushy feeling, sloppy controls, sluggish unresponsiveness as the 172.

So far, I'm quite thrilled with the purchase.

I'll think I'll get my 10, or however many hours, to satisfy insurance, and to get comfortable, but then I'd be very interested to book some time with Jeremy -- especially since he's so darn close.

I will take your upgrade advice to heart: time and gasoline!

Well, I'm off for lesson #2 now.

Thanks again for your thoughts and your experience with this Conti engine's temperament issues.