Landing with Power

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
stevesMaule180

Landing with Power

Post by stevesMaule180 »

Maule Pilots- anyone experience landing 'behind the power curve...' dragging along over the trees at 1600-2000 rpm, and then reduce to get down to runway quick, then a little throttle to cushion the touchdown?

I'm thinking around 50-55 knots, nothing terribly slow ...
Passing the faster planes, as they re-fuel ðŸ˜￾

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

It's what I do ... only about 50 MPH holding it off with power and it usually selltles in nicely....stall light comes on just below that and then the tap dance starts.....I don't do Knots... MPH... makes cruise seem a lot faster... :lol:
Iceman

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Speed seems irrelevant since it depends how loaded u r. Full elevator back and just enough power to keep the nose up... Stall it in, flare using power last second to arrest decent, drop flaps and brake hard. Careful though if engine sputters or u wait to long its goona be a hard landing. About ate it once doing that. Mostly just practice and do what your comfortable with

stevesMaule180

short landing with vg's

Post by stevesMaule180 »

I ask because best landing was by surprise a few years back. We were a little low and slow, heading for sod strip at Hartford Brainard. Flaps were full 40 deg., and added power to hold altitude, then slowly reduce power as the grass touched our wheels. Wonderful!

8)
Passing the faster planes, as they re-fuel ðŸ˜￾

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Oo yes big difference between a good soft clean landing.. and a drop her in like a rock fly it like u stole it short field landing on a 300' gravel bar. Haha all the advice in the world can't beat experience. Best to just fly and figure it out

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Oo yes big difference between a good soft clean landing.. and a drop her in like a rock fly it like u stole it short field landing on a 300' gravel bar. Haha all the advice in the world can't beat experience. Best to just fly and figure it out

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

had one of those feather landings with my son at JC couple weeks ago... on grass neither one of us knew we were already on the ground... love those....
Iceman

worzel

Post by worzel »

Love the term 'feather landing' describes them perfectly. Not that I get to experience 'them' too often ! The only way is just to keep landing. :)
M5-235 G-OJGT

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

There is a simple secret to a soft touchdown every time.

I just wish someone would tell me what it is.

Ba-dum-dump...
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843