Speed on Step for Float guys

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
cooker
100+ Posts

Speed on Step for Float guys

Post by cooker »

Just wondering what kind of indicated speed you guys see when on step prior to lifting off water. I realize most don't look at the airspeed indicator much but for those that take note i am curious what speeds can be reached and the difference between light and gross for other aircraft??

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

I usually look for roughly 55 mph for rotating. 5 less when very light, 5 more when full at 2750 lbs.
and my rotation consists of rolling full aileron and briefly applying full flaps, as any pitch rotation on the aqua 2400 floats results in a tail drag and losing speed. then lower the nose for a second or two until 70 mph with one notch of flaps, and then clear obstacles. then reduce power and pitch for 90mph while letting the flaps off.
if I am just step taxiing I will find a sweet spot around 1900-2000 rpm depending on load and altitude that results in roughly 45-50 mph across the water.
M5-235

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Spent last summer with my M4-220 on EDO 2440. 55mph was my magic number, no matter what load was in the plane, it would fly right off the water, no flap popping or ailerons. When I am light, it will pop off the water at a lower speed easily with a few tricks. Found that making a nice smooth arc while lifting the outside float I could get it out of the water much earlier than lifting the float while maintaining a straight heading. Do you have an M4 with a 540?!

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

Do you have an M4 with a 540?!
Yes O-540-A1D5