Looking for Help / reccomendations TAKEOFF

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Looking for Help / reccomendations TAKEOFF

Post by FARMAULE »

Hey guys I'm new to Maules/Tailwheels and new to flying really. Trying to hit it hard this summer and have some questions. I feel like my ground roll on takeoff is quite excessive. Temp around 80 and DA only 1500' I'm using between 900' and 1000'with no wind. Once I break ground it climbs out very nicely but I'm relatively close to my power lines, which are another 300' or so. The technique I'm using is 2 notches of flaps, full throttle on the brakes and three pointing off. I've tried lifting the tail some and really didn't lose any measurable distance, I don't think. It's a 1973 M4 220c with three flap settings. I'm waiting on field approval for longer prop which will help but I know my inexperienced T/O needs tweaked. Oh and trim is set a little to the nose up. Feel free to Pick me apart. Only 100hrs total.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

I've played and tested it quite a bit and my M4 does far worse in a 3 pt. attitude. That lengthens my roll noticeably.

Half loaded or lighter and at a DA of around 6800' my TO roll uses about 350'... usually less. I'm certainly not an expert but here's what I do. I set trim at slightly nose down to neutral; I set flaps at the first notch; I feed in full power and push yoke full forward to raise the tail; Once I feel some "neutrality" in the yoke (i.e. I am pushing forward and it get's lighter) I pop in ALL the flaps (48 degrees) and pitch up. As soon as I'm off I reduce the flaps. I should mention I have the button depressed fully the whole time, so I'm directly controlling the range of flaps. Once the flaps are all out I trim for climbout.

All the technique in the world won't make up for hardware issues. My empty wt. is 1203 now and my roll would be a lot longer if I had regular gear and no 31" ABWs. Those give the AOA needed to get off short. I haven't flown my M4 at sea level, but I'll bet I could get it off in a couple hundred feet... maybe less.

My guess is (in this order)
- too little AOA
- your Frank not making full power
- heavy
- your CG not optimal
- no gap seals
- technique
- rigging

Good luck!

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks xwildcat, sounds like your procedure is quite different from what I was taught. I need a lot more time in this thing, I'm still trying to keep it straight lol (damn trees). From your ideas I think you stated AOA possibly too low, I agree this may be an issue and was under the impression the three point would obviously be a higher aoa but i guess the speed gains with the tail up may allow the transition to occur earlier. The frank showed good compressions and seems to run great. Making full power according to the tach on climb out. I normally fly full tanks and a passenger so roughly 2100lbs so a little heavy I guess. My planes empty weight is pushing 1500lbs. (Razorback and IFR junk) I do have gap seals and obviously my technique sucks, but thats why I'm here. Thanks for the information. Keep it coming guys.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I've got an M4 210 and here's a couple of thoughts

Weight is the big one. If stol is your mission try and lighten it up. I keep under 2000 for most off airport work.

Takeoff roll. No flaps or one notch works well, less drag initially. Takeoff power with neutral stick. Less drag and protects elevator a tad from rock strikes. Give it a 2 count and go full forward stick. Tail should come right up, count to about 3 and pull full flaps and smoothly bring the tail down to just off the ground. Let the airplane fly itself off. Allow the airplane to accelerate through about 60 and bring flaps into first notch, pitch for climb speed until clear of obstacles, then flaps up.

Take care of the tail and little wheel. It gets a workout back there. The less its on the ground the better. You can also feel the drag it creates if allowed to contact the runway during the t.o. Roll after you have had it off the ground.

Timing is everything and it will take a while to build the muscle memory and seat of the pants ability to feel what your plane is doing. Practice, practice, practice

There is a YouTube video titled M4 stol, it's your airplane/engine combo,light and well flown. You may find it helpful.

Cheers

Mikew

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks Mike I will look into the video. I need to hit some more forgiving strips for practice then come home and put it to work.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Another interesting video shows that a Maule is not a Maule is not a Maule. Many different configurations and pilots are demonstrated in this video... Some LOUSY, some good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy89lNuO9U

BTW, some of those planes have since been wrecked... :shock: ... go figure.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks everyone for All the advice. I've had numerous PM's and even a phone call from a new friend in Mississippi. Got off the ground in a bout 500' last night. Felt way better and had way more control. With time I'm sure this number will decline. Xwildcat, thanks for pointing out all the different variations between Maules. Someday I'd like to fly a long winged one. Thanks again.