Oleo versus spring gear

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
buz

Oleo versus spring gear

Post by buz »

I am new to the site and considering purchasing a taildragger Maule, I have learned alot already browsing the site but have not come across any info regarding the differences from the two types of gear. I know spring gear is a more expensive option, is wider, heavier, and I'm thinking more stable for handling. Is that about it? I have lots of taildragger time in a Bellanca and will get a good checkout but would welcome any comments about the gear before I jump in. 8) Thanks

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Buz, looks like you have the gist of the differences.
Call me if you want fine details.
Basically, 55lbs heavier, 22" wider which has pros and cons. Same width as C185 so cannot land on a pickup/jeep trail and harder to keep up on 1 wheel in xwind, but harder for wind to pickup a wing once on ground. So thats a wash.
Cost more but has more sex appeal to some.
Same time/cost regarding inspections.
Both gear have a SL upgrade.
Both can accept bushwheels, skis (some), floats.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Does the spring gear have lower drag? Looks more aerodynamic.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Being as wide gear is longer therefore more wetted surface. So approx same drag as long as oleo gear has fairings on.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Taildragon

Post by Taildragon »

I've got the spring gear on mine. I have read and had other Maule drivers tell me that the spring gear is more likely to splay (read that: Prop strike). I don't know if there is any truth in it.

I really like the spring gear: Simple, reliable, and has handled everything I've dished out...

buz

Post by buz »

Thanks for your input people, sounds like the differences are not big enough for me to favor one over the other. I will just look for the machine that suits my needs best. I plan on leaving the aircraft on wheels for the first year and get familiar (read that: have alot of fun) with it and then put it on floats.