Rudder Trim

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Rudder Trim

Post by Green Hornet »

Iv'e had some explanation about rudder trim but can someone tell me is there a position that is optimum for all flights or do you adjust it to the circumstances of wind, landing, cruising, etc. :?:
M7 235C
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Rudder trim is the T handle under the right yoke and pulls a spring bungee against the right pedal on the co-pilot side. Very often I find they are not rigged correctly. With T all the way in, there should be a very little slack in the spring.
Many owners confuse rudder trim with the servo tab on the rudder which is not a trim tab.
Usually, I set my rudder trim once for cruise at about 120mph and leave it alone. This allows for me to cruise along all day with just a light touch from my right foot to keep things straight.
The tailwheel or the nosewheel swivel dampening can confuse a little because in takeoff with anti P factor right pedal, the steering wheel can remain slightly turned and thus produce a rudder efect so before setting the rudder trim it is adviseable to kick the steering wheel a bit to free and centralize it. Then you set the trim according to your personal preference.
Hope that helps
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I would tell you that the reason it is adjustable in the cockpit is because it needs to be adjusted from time to time. That's my opinion of course.
For me, in my airplane, which may be different from yours, I leave it in for T/O. Pull it almost all of the way out for climb, push it most of the way in cruise and push it all of the way in for descent. Or more simply, I put it where it needs to be to keep me from having to hold constant pressure on either pedal. Where it needs to be will change as gross weight, density altitude, airspeed and several things change. That is why it is adjustable.
I leave it in for T/O and landing because I want as few variables as possible in T/O and landing, but remember, it is a spring and can be easily over ridden so don't worry if on short final you look over there and it's not where you want it.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

"Many owners confuse rudder trim with the servo tab on the rudder which is not a trim tab. "

I think I am guilty of this, just to be clear the tab in the rudder that moves left to right is not connected to the T? It is a spring on the right pedal.

I have been flying with the T pulled out constantly. Now I am anxiuos to land and TO with the T not engaged to limit variables. The only concern I have will the P-factor seem to need more right rudder on TO or will it be a negligible adjustment. I guess I'll find out soon. :shock:
Thanks to you both Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The T handle is the rudder trim control and is connected via a spring to the right pedal. All it does is take some of the load from your right foot when operating the plane in acceleration, climb and cruise and you set it where it gives the most comfort.
The 'servo' tab in the trailing edge of the rudder is not anything to do with the rudder trimming control. It is a separate system and is driven in concert with the aileron, to reduce adverse yaw which takes place when an aileron is manipulated.
The Maule parts manual has breakdown drawings of all the aircraft systems and my feeling is, that all operaters of equipment should study and understand where and how each part works. If something does not feel right or normal, an operater can thus visualize what might be going wrong before it gets out of control. This is especially important when in the environment we choose to put ourselves in 'above the ground'.
I only wish I could fully understand the inner workings of this mystical computer because once in a while I'd like to send it 'flying'.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

:idea:
Last edited by Green Hornet on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Jeremy,
They, computers that is, work off of smoke and mirrors. Don't believe me? Just watch, first time any smoke leaks out of it, it will quit working. :lol: