What to expect? ABW

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
FARMAULE
100+ Posts

What to expect? ABW

Post by FARMAULE »

Just ordered a set of ABW 29" for the plane. We all know what these are capable of. My question, is there anything to look out for for the first flight or so. Pitching, climb performance, sidewall sway on landing anything I can mentally prepare for. Obviously I'm not going to go out and start pounding the hard stuff. Just major differences from 8.50s maybee even on pavement even. Mainly looking for advice

260driver

Post by 260driver »

I find that "tail-low, wheel landings" work best...

You should lift off a little bit sooner with the increased angle of attack...

To preserve tire life, avoid pivoting on pavement...

Have fun, you're going to love them!!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I found sidewall flex in the 31's a bit disconcerting at first but after a flight or two, you won't even notice. My IA, who also does my biannual, is still a bit freaky when I make wheel landings as someone in the past convinced him there is a chance of forward pitch as the bigger tires have more resistance to spin up to speed than smaller tires. I certainly have noticed no such problem. Then again, maybe it is just my landing technique that scares him!

Expect a slower top speed and a little harder time seeing over the nose while taxiing.

You will love the bigger tires.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I'm looking forward to mounting them and trying them out. Any major differences with the double pucks?

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

Hi FARMAULE and welcome!.
I found it took more getting use to the double pucks than the ABW's when you change to that combination. The double pucks really work, so just watch it if you are use to stomping on the brakes as I was. Although it was easy to just " jump in and fly" with the ABW's it took me a while to find the exact "sweet spot" when landing (angle of attack & distance from surface) which can be expected with any change like that. Once fitted you'll never go back!

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Post by UtahMaule »

Don't over think it. They won't sneak up and bite you, only good things to come.

Haywire

Post by Haywire »

The cabin step is now a lot farther from the ground...the first 4 or 5 times you hop out, the ground won't be where you expect.

You can make a mud rooster tail 30 feet high!

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I assume you have the air hawks.. same as me... you will be surprised at how much sooner you get off the ground... and with braking it takes more pressure to raise the tail with the brakes.. a good thing for me as I could raise the tail with not a lot of effort with my 800's..I can now apply heavier braking if I need without worry...just be sure to dance on those rudders when you touch down but the 29's are a bit more forgiving if you should veer one way or the other... have fun. they are more forgiving...also I got 6 inches more prop clearance
Iceman

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Hey just received the wheels, tires, and brakes in the mail yesterday. Hoping to get them put on Saturday. I know it's been beaten to death already but what is a good starting tire psi for mostly grass and a little pavement work while I'm still green to the plane and set up. I'm thinking 12psi. Most numbers I have found are lower but are aimed for rocks and soft terrain. Look forward to the info. 29" abw on 6" Cleveland's.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Wup advised me to go 12 on pavement and I can go as low as 9 PSI but I have the air hawks as I said. any lower than 9 and I stand to slip the tire on the rim and with tube tires I could shear the valve stem so 12 mostly until I go somewhere rougher than my usual here in San Diego County and the desert....
Iceman

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

UtahMaule wrote:Don't over think it. They won't sneak up and bite you, only good things to come.

What he said :D

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Just mounted the new goods. A bit windy here today but we took it around the patch anyway. Everything seems good. Probably gonna have to lower the air pressure a bit. Need to order the stress kit from Wup next week and change some hardware out then I'll be ready for a little more off road stuff. Thanks for all the help.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Apply a lot of moisturizer to your cheeks as the grin you get from all the good things to come may split your face. :lol:
Seriously, landing little tires is more difficult. Enjoy them!
Live it like its your last day.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:Apply a lot of moisturizer to your cheeks as the grin you get from all the good things to come may split your face. :lol:
Seriously, landing little tires is more difficult. Enjoy them!
hey Curt... haven't seen any great pictures from you lately...Sup.;... :lol:
Iceman

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Hey Butch!
Yeah, I've been a bit remiss on that. I've been busy and the pictures are lacking. I've been covering a lot of the State the last few months and have a few but have been having fun. I've been doing a number of airport safety inspections until the snow began to shut us down. Managed to get a bunch of them done and have a lot more to do next year. I will get around to posting some shortly. We have just begun Young Squire's Wrestling season so should have lots of time while sitting in the bleachers to sort.
Glad to hear from you, drop me an email when you get the chance!
Kurt
Live it like its your last day.