What to expect? ABW

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

yeah, been lovin my 29's and haven't been to Idaho but did make the fly in in Utah last spring... That's about all I've done back country except for the local dirt strips and dry lake beds here around San Diego... Looking forward to next spring and summer for a Real test of my 29's. In a quandary about what to do next for the M4... a ABW bushwheel tail wheel or a 80 inch prop, or extended heavy duty gear... Did a new lightweight starter last month....anyway I just keep socking away a hundred here and there till I decide.. The gear is the most expensive I think unless I go to the prop which could be a bit pricey.. I have a 76 McCauley now. and I figure 80 inches would be a huge improvement... looking forward to some Ski flying pix.. Butch...
Iceman

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I would like to know how that starter treats you. Lycon dissuades people from the lightweight starter on the little Conti. I would love to run one though. By my estimation, I'd save ~11#. I also have the orginal generator and plan on installing the little B&C 12amp alternator= 17# gain.
Other changes include: New prop, recover, gutting the interior. I have 6 different colors on Razorback. Significant weight loss in the Peril's future I hope. On a long reach, I have a neighbor that specializes in carbon fiber. We've talked a number of times on making a carbon cowl. He thinks we can lose ~15-18#, again, off the nose. So, gen, starter and cowl, maybe as much as ~25# off the nose alone.
When are you coming up? I have lots to show you!
Live it like its your last day.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

So how does all the weight off the front affect CoG and loading?
I had a Volvo once called Peril.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I've had good luck with the Sky-Tec C12ST3 LW Hi-Torque with patented design to prevent broken Springs in the Conti Clutch System... They work like a champ, seem to last long time, and spin much faster then original and weigh in at 6.5lb... :lol:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

My new engine came with a lightweight starter but I don't remember what brand it is. I certainly haven't had any problems with it. With the new Odessy battery the engine winds up even at very low temps without complaint! I'll see if there is an ID on the starter the next time I have the cowl off.

What prop are you running Kurt?

I looked at carbon fiber sheeting for flooring at the last Airman's show. They were asking about $400 for a 4'X8" sheet of that stuff! Did your buddy give you any price quotes for a cowl? Volume discount?? LOL!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

the sky tec took off 11 lbs and it sounds a lot different but it seems to wind up a bit faster. Alaska is a long way off for me. and with gas over 5.50 a gallon now I am just gonna be able to afford Idaho for 10 days this summer.. sure would love to get there some day... just the fishing and hunting alone is inviting... had my top cowling done a couple years ago.. it wasn't rounded on top any more so I had it reinforced and re shaped with carbon fiber... didn't think too much about weight till I added the Air Hawks which put on 40 lbs... I had no idea the sky tec wasn't recommended and hadn't heard anything... the c12ST3 is listed for our engine so I figured no problem.. hope I didn't screw up but then I haven't had it on long enough to experience any problems as of yet...curious how much better performance we'd get with a 80 inch prop...my 76 is pretty good on getting me off the ground but 4 more inches would probably be mind blowing... :lol: guess we all sorta hijacked this thread huh??? wonder if he flew the new tires yet...
Iceman

chetharris
100+ Posts

Starter Adapter

Post by chetharris »

Who startedthe thread creep on this --sowing hatred and.... This starter thing almost deserves its own topic.

Kurt, sorry I did not get back to you last weekend about brunch. I left my phone at home while running around.

Regarding the starter adapter, it is my understanding that the latest iteration of the skytec starter has a clutch that might have solved some of the problems associated with the light starter and Continetal starter adapters.

I do know that continental built both an old and a new style adapter. The skytecs worked flawlessly with the newer adapter and not so well with the old. I was talked out of buying a skytec, but that was a few years ago, perhaps before the newer starter.

In any case, I quote Ron NewBurg of Niagra Airparts Inc., "I sell the Sky-Tec starters for both the Continentals and the Lycomings. For the Lycomings, buying a Sky-Tec is the "nicest thing you can do for yourself" If you have an 0300D or 0470 [or IO-360] Continental with a "new style improved" (TCM's description - not mine) starter adapter, the little 6 pound Sky-Tec will work wonderfully because the "new style" TCM adapter is configured differently internally than the "CLASSIC STYLE" adapter that TCM has been making for the last 50 years. The very highest percentage of us have the "classic style adapter (the good one - my words this time). The original classic style adapter will self destruct and destroy itself if you use a light weight 6 pound Sky-Tec starter because this geared starter will not turn backwards easily to allow the starter adapter clutch spring to fully release. The "new style" TCM adapters, found on most of the new TCM factory overhauls never release fully anyway and drag the clutch spring continuously on the adapter main gear shaft which is spinning at 5500 to 7500 RPM (depending on engine model) all the time the engine is running. You can tell if you have a "new style" adapter by cautiously turning the prop backwards and, if you feel a high degree of resistance, it is the "new style" adapter. You will actually hear the starter moter whirring as it turns backwards. Most of TCM's factory overhauls (except the front alternator "permold" 520/550 engines) now come with the "new style" adapter and a lethargic "ISKRA" lightweight starter. As I said earlier, the "new style" adapter will work with the light weight starters BUT DON"T PUT ONE ONE AN ORIGINAL CLASSIC STYLE ADAPTER or we will get to know each other real soon. PS. bring lots of money"

This quote was lifted from the internet, so be reminded it could be a twelve year old posing as Ron. I heard a similar explanation from a very reputable engine shop. They stood to make money off of me, but all but refused to sell me a lightweight starter for my Continetal.

Worth what you paid for it. Regards,
Chet